San Gorgonio Summit Camp

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I was waiting for winter to show up before doing a trip to the higher peaks but decided it wasn't going to get any better this season. 4 of us backpacked up the south fork last Saturday and camped on the summit of San Gorgonio. The trail varied from ice to slush to mud between the parking lot and southfork meadows. After the meadows we snowshoed towards the north west slope. It took some effort to zig and zag around bushes, rocks and fallen trees so we could stay on the snow. From about 9400' to 10,500' the snow was solid and enjoyable. After 10,500' it was a slog up steep scree with full packs. Not fun! This was the same weekend we did the 9 peak trek last year and it was sad to see the difference in the snow pack.

Image Image
View of the ridge line from the northwest slope on 3-10-12 and 3-12-11

We took a fairly relaxed pace most of the day and reached the summit just before sunset. The rock shelters on the summit had snow drifted inside and we didn't feel like digging them out so we walked down to the plateau south west of the peak. We camped on a nice sandy flat with a nearby drift we used to make water. The wind was blowing like normal but not too crazy. After setting up the tents the rest of the evening was spent melting snow and relaxing. I couldn't sleep that great so I got up a little before sunset and walked back up to the peak to watch the sunrise. The wind had picked up and my water bottle began to freeze in the short time it took to walk from our camp to the peak.

Sunrise from San Gorgonio

After the sunrise I walked back down to camp and the others were crawling out thier tents. We sat around, ate breakfast and had warm drinks before packing up and hiking out. When we were walking back to the northwest slope we found a newer looking aircraft part. Ron thought it was a piece of the landing gear and it turns out he was right. There were model numbers and "piper" on the part so I looked it up when I got home. I came across this post from San Gorgonio SAR and another article in the news paper about a single-engine Piper Cherokee that crashed near Dobbs peak in 2008. I assume its from that plane. Anybody remember this crash? I dont recall hearing anything about it. Once back to the meadow and on the trail we saw a few groups along the way but otherwise, the walk out was muddy, but uneventful. Not many cars in the parking lot when we got back but there was an eispiraten.com sticker sighting.

The rest of my pictures are here.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Well played. Winter might be on it's way for you this weekend instead.
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

I remember the crash, it was pretty bad indeed.

Here's a link to the official NTSB report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief ... 034&akey=1
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Awesome sunrise picture, probably was even better in person.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda