What number to call in an emergency?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

ok folks,

here is ascenario: I go hiking on ski hut trail --- I tell my wife I will be home
at 4pm. I never show up. It is now 9pm.

What number can my wife call such that when it rings and she tells them "ski hut trail on Mt Baldy", then the people on the otherside know exactly what she is talking about???

Calling 911 is useless in this case.
Calling the MT Baldy Ranger station is useless since they close around 4pm.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

You've got your LASD hiking plan already filled out :D, so as it states, in case of a missing hiker to call your local police/sheriff.

Could call the San Bernadino sheriff phone number in this case to speed things up. Even if you reach the ranger station, they aren't going to handle the search/rescue. The rangers would be a place to go if the reporting party were in the area and to physically to go in to the station.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

This subject has come up on the Mt. Whitney board in the past. As I remember, the first call should go to the county sheriff. It's the sheriff who has the authority to call out SAR. In the Lone Pine area, 911 gets the highway patrol who are oriented to traffic accidents not hiking/climbing incidents. I don't know who answers 911 in urban areas. It would probaby be a good idea to put the number of the sheriff's station nearest the trailhead in your cell phone.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

I think Ranger stations are pretty useless after hours. Ihave had them not pick up the phone during business hours on many occassions, let alone during an emergency that is off hours. Only thing I have found the ranger stations good for, are weather reports and road conditions --- and on weather, they scare you to death as though you were attempting a climb of K2.

I think next weekend I will stop at Mt Baldy Village at the firestation and ask someone there as to the best number to call to make people aware of an emergency.

Thank you
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

The best number will almost always be that of the county sheriff, particularly in smaller counties outside the LA metro area.

911 is a next step but you may have a hard time getting them to understand exactly where you are - if you even know where you are. Or, as in the scenario provided, if someone calls 911 and says "my husband hasn't come home" they're probably going to be very low on the list of priorities, especially after only a couple of hours. They'll probably think you're out banging your secretary.

If you call the sheriff directly, chances are better that someone who answers the phone knows the area you are talking about, but again this is probably more relevant in more remote areas.
Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

Remember if you dial 911 from any cell phone it will always go Highway Patrol. So if you need to get to the Sheriff's Department ask for them to transfer you to the local dispatch.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

In my years at Adams' Pack Station we always called search & rescue directly for an injury or a lost/late hiker. The sheriff dispatcher gets confused because you cannot give them an address, and they are not familiar with the mountains and canyons. Besides, all they do is call SAR anyway. Even Forest Service dispatch just calls SAR. I don't know about Altadena or San Dimas, but Sierra Madre Search & Rescue was never upset by responding to a call for a lost hiker that showed up even before they could get the search under way. They view it as a training opportunity. So don't be afraid to call.
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

Regardless of who you call, please plan on informing them that this is a "mountain search and rescue" emergency. You can add details re: the nature of the emergency or injuries. Ensuring they know it is a mountain SAR incident will help them route the call appropriately and/or get the right resources notified.

Calling the local Sheriff's emergency dispatch # is often the most direct way of getting a SAR team rolling. 9-1-1 is always a good option if there is any doubt.

It is very helpful to know official place names for nearby locations. Informal or unofficial designations will not correspond to information in the location database(s) tied to the dispatch systems.

As Greg noted - don't hesitate to call. Turning around a response early when an overdue hiker walks out is preferable (within reason :) ) to calling when someone has been missing for many hours and the weather has deteriorated, it's midnight, etc.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

thank you for letting me know!! - appreciate all your repsonses.

Happy Hiking!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

seadweller wrote: I think Ranger stations are pretty useless after hours. Ihave had them not pick up the phone during business hours on many occassions, let alone during an emergency that is off hours. Only thing I have found the ranger stations good for, are weather reports and road conditions --- and on weather, they scare you to death as though you were attempting a climb of K2.

I think next weekend I will stop at Mt Baldy Village at the firestation and ask someone there as to the best number to call to make people aware of an emergency.

Thank you

Remember who we are largely talking about here. We live in LA. People freak out when we get some sprinkles or snow flurries. Ever out hiking in cold weather and see idiots in sandals and shorts, or people without water in 100 degree weather? The people giving information have to take into consideration who the primary customer is.

In emergencies, 911 is the best place to call. While the dispatcher answering may not know exactly who you are, most of them are trained to contact the many other agencies almost simultaneously. That way you get the quickest dispersion of resources, in most cases.

If that fails, you can call the 24 hr Angeles Dispatch 661-723-3620. They're a good resource, too, and can get USFS units on scene fastest, but if it's after hours (when most USFS units are off duty), they're going to be dealing more with Search and Rescue and county resources first, (which may take longer) who have more 24 hr units available.