Mtn lion Murderers

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
everyday

Post by everyday »

OK, why the fine?? I think the killers should be jailed or executed. Twenty!? fuck

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 3306.story
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

everyday wrote: OK, why the fine?? I think the killers should be jailed or executed. Twenty!? fuck

"executed" Seriously?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm not sure how they'll keep this from happening again once they resume hunting, but maybe the loss of business in the meantime will make them think a little more carefully.

Even worse (for all animals on the property) is this: "The company plans to build several urban centers, including more than 26,000 homes as well as hotels, condominiums and golf courses, at the western and southwestern edge of the ranch. "

Prop 117 is often viewed as a trivial tree-hugger law. However there is a whole lot of sound scientific reasoning behind it. Even if there were a legal mountain lion hunt in California, these guys would still be poachers as they show no respect for any regulation set up to manage wildlife in a sustainable way.

Off to hunt some lions myself today. 8)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

it sure isn't going to stop them

umm... let's see $136,000 fine for 11 confirmed kills from 2004 to 2010

They're making $2,000,000 per YEAR

$136,000 is a minor cost of doing business. Or $22,666.67 over the time period in question.

An appropiate fine for corporate wronging would be 3 times the yearly income for each year the violations occoured or 6 x $2,000,000 x 3 = $36,000,000 fine.

This would deter violations

This is a slap on the wrist
everyday

Post by everyday »

ok...maybe not executed, but definately removed from society, like prison or a mental hospital. I mean, if this person will have 20 mtn lions killed just to make a few extra dollars. I dont see how he'd have any hesitation at doing the same to a human who stood in his way. He'll obviously kill anything that keeps him from more cash, which is scary as hell imo....Need more money? = fuk it, just shoot everything in the way of getting it, seems to be his mentality. Same as any other criminal's.

and exactly , Its just a slap on the wrist like he said above. These people need REAL punishment. this fine doesnt matter to them at all...
Green Onions

Post by Green Onions »

everyday wrote: OK, why the fine?? I think the killers should be jailed or executed. Twenty!? fuck

Ironically, regular predation is good for the local game population. The natural disporportionate taking of weak/old/sick animals benefits the gene pool.

Unfortunately, the Tejon Ranch was so eager to maximize immediate profits that they chose to commit an act detrimental to the population they were supposedly trying to protect, sacrificing long-term benefits for short-term gain.

I'm sure they're very sorry ... they got caught.