Baden-Powell TR, 02/12/12

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

That great part about the trip was it was right after a small snow storm so there was fresh powder everywhere. Temps were pretty cold and the wind did not help out much. We put on our Kathoola’s just before mile 1.

The trail was pretty easy going with a few sketchy parts. Once we hit the first plateau it was much easier but then again the snow also got much deeper, 3 ft at the top if you got off trail. The trial eventually was covered so we went straight up to the top and the followed the ridge. The view on the peak was great although not a lot of other peaks were visible with the cloud cover, just the high desert. The clouds were very fun to watch as they swirled around. We were first up and then a couple with crampons were slightly behind us.

We ran into a few more people on the way down but none that were ready or that were that close so I imagine it was just us 5 that day that summited. On the way down I tried my hand at glissading a few times. As long as the snow was soft and deep it was quite easy and comfortable. As soon as we got lower there was not that much base and it was frozen underneath, much harder to stop.

Enjoy the pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12210819@N ... 304212347/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks for the TR lesper, nice shots, more snow is coming, let's hope we can get plenty over the next few weeks :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

lesper that was me that took your group summit shot. small SGMDF world.

norma
:D
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Thanks again Norma, The conditoons now would be completly differnent from last weekend, crampons for sure and maybe snow shoes.