Searching for the monument

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

The group hike commander has turned into a captain Ahab obsessing not over a whale but the desire reach the W. monument at the San Bernardino Mts. I am trying to stall the trek until spring arrives with its usual green growth, running waters, warm temps and a chance to go a bit further on the hike. Being unprepared for snow travel, we failed to reach the WM last week, getting as far as the bench. We regrouped during the week, got the gear and more snow on the mountains so finally on sunday me and the commander set off for the WM. Right from the start the trail was covered with snow but the going was easy with no need for added traction until we reached the bench. At this area the trail vanished as we tried to decide where to go. I prefer the steeper short way, the commander wanted to go along the vanished trail. After a bit of ascension we hit the steep sections with ice underneath the snow and it was time to put on some traction. It was sunny and very cold as we tried to go up by following the trail when it would be discernible. At times I sneaked in a few straight ups to the dislike of the commander since I knew it was his first time here and had no knowledge as to where to go but only the desire to see the WM up close. Finally we reached the monument after 4.5 hrs in the snow. It was windy, sunny, beautiful and very cold so after a few pics we started to head down. The down hill trek was more challenging but we were all happy at our monumental effort to finally reach the WM. What a nice place to go for a snow trek now that the Baldy Bowl is snow free and its pretty
safe trek even if you go for a ride it will be very short. Got back to the manzanita flats took off the traction and hiked the rest of the trail with our regular shoes. Finally reached the car thus ending a close to 9hrs of pure snow travel bliss on the San Bernie Mt.... 666

the white trail

step on the white from the start

manzanita land

some where to the right

"looking for the trail

looking down the valley

returning

the easy section