Bear Canyon trail to Baldy 05-09-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Hiked the Bear Canyon trail (or Old Baldy trail) on Friday. I loved 9/80 work schedule!

Started at 6:30am from Baldy village. I was 1st to park there. Got to Bear Flat around 7:00am. Lots of water running. Got to the ridge near the summit when one guy past me. He was on a steady pace, while I started to slow down. The views on this trail were grandeur, especially when on the ridge. There are a few flat areas with evidents of man-made camping spots passed the half way up. The trail condition was excellent. Give my truly appreciation to those who just maintained this trail on the lower half of trail.

There is only a few snow patches on the way to the summit but manageable w/o crampon or ice ax. Got to the summit at 10:45. Met Pete up on summit; a good fellow hiker.

It was hot on the way down especially the lower half before Bear Flat where hardly any shade. Glad to be down at the car at 2:10pm to pick up kid from school. I was exhausted.

Here are some pics:

Bear Flat

Ridge

small scales of neve penetentes

Village under cloud
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice pics, just make sure that when you post the link up between the [img] tags, nothing follows after ".jpg".
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

My favorite hike in the San Gabriels. :D IT WILL KICK YOUR BUTT!
Lance

Post by Lance »

FIGHT ON wrote:My favorite hike in the San Gabriels.
Hey, its MY favorite hike in the SGs :lol: Hope to see you out there Fight On.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

FIGHT ON wrote:My favorite hike in the San Gabriels. :D IT WILL KICK YOUR BUTT!
FIGHT ON! you were right on! It did kick mine.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

especially like the pictures.....looks like a good summer hike(with an early start), but then its very hot?
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i love the fact that i havnt been on any of the great trails yet...
i really really cant wait to do this one...

on a hot summer night when the moon is bright
i'll climb high above the city light to a spot where
i can drink and smoke and feel all right.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Ixnay on the okingsmay. Especially on a thread about the trail that is currently burning! :?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Ixnay on the okingsmay. Especially on a thread about the trail that is currently burning! :?
God point! All it took was for someone to mention smoking on an Internet Message Board and the next thing you know the area is burning! The downside of Southern California. :cry:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW wrote:especially like the pictures.....looks like a good summer hike(with an early start), but then its very hot?
My first attempt on Iron was in the summer. Miserably hot. I eventually aborted. I tried again in December (January?). There was wonderful snow on the upper section of the trail which gave me excellent footing and the temperature was cool to cold. Huge difference over my hot day attempt.