Running Miles

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Hello! if there's any other runners on here, i was wondering what your regular mileage is? also, do you just run for fun, or do you race? Just curious
I have 106 miles for this year so far. (I skipped running on the 1st though, but from Jan 2nd til now its 106 ) :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I think I might have 1. :-)
everyday

Post by everyday »

Taco wrote: I think I might have 1. :-)
aww thats cute, good for you honey :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:(
everyday

Post by everyday »

Its ok, yer better at lotsa other good stuff! like climbing n driving n shooting :D
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

I'm up to 66 this year. I'm in my taper now for the Surf City Marathon but I primarily run to stay in shape for mountaineering.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I run 3 miles twice a week, primarily to get ready for my first "sprint' triathlon in Fontana, other then that lots of bike riding for fun.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I run 9 miles about 3 times a week... plus one long day with 18+. I'm training for the L.A. Marathon in March. To be honest... I don't really know what I'm doing. I started way back in November running 3 miles x 5 days/week and gradually increased until the mileage I'm at now. To be honest, the stuff over 10 miles starts to get boring for me, possibly because I'm running on city streets. Another issue I'm dealing with is hydration. I can run the short days without taking water with me but on the long days its just impossible for me to not run with water. I looked into getting a hydration belt but they're almost 50 bucks for a stupid nylon belt with 2 SMALL water bottles and a pouch. WTF?! Its robbery! Anyways, I end up just carry my water in my hands for the duration.

There are some trails that I recently discovered near my house but they are quite steep. Still the fact remains, I do love to run. After the marathon I'm going to switch gears and try to get out on the trails, not focusing on anything more than the experience of it... because that's what I enjoyed most about my runs before I started "training" for this event. I run in a pair of Asics Gel-Nimbus13 Limited Edition's. I got them at the Running Center in Redlands and have seriously fallen in love. I've never had a running shoe fit me so well with NO problems. My previous pair were the older version of the La Sportiva Cross-Lite. I had many problems with them, they were very narrow and ended up coming apart around the toe area.

As for my long-term goals for the future: I have always thought it would be cool to try to run the entire John Muir Trail on a three-day weekend. I think that's why I'm going to eventually start running exclusively on trails once the marathon is done. Anyways, that's my 2 scents.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Zach wrote: Anyways, that's my 2 scents.
I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who "smells" his way thru thought processes :shock: (2 scents instead of 2 cents) I like it :D
everyday

Post by everyday »

@ Duke-you run trails or streets?

@lesper4-a sprint triathalon sounds fun!

@Zach, goodluck on the marathon! That kinda sux youre stuck running streets a lot, that would be boring after a while, i tried pavement a couple times n wasnt a fan...but Ive always been lucky enough to always live near...if not actually almost ON trails.

those are nice shoes. I have adidas TR3's for winter snow and ice with yaktrax or microspikes on em. and for summer merrell trail gloves. I wanna try some Altra lone peak's this year if i can afford some. theyre another zero drop barefooty type shoe like my merrells. i love how shoes like that feel! like im flying :)

my daily is usually 6-8 trail miles 4 days a week, and a 16 to 30 once a week...how much free time i have determines the long distances. my 6-8's i do up here on the rim. my long runs always are down the canyon to the colorado n back up. so it gives me a fun downhill, and a killer hillclimb to get home!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

damn Zach, that's a lot of running! good luck in the marathon, got a time you are shooting for?

be careful with overtraining. make sure you have at least a few days off per week so your tendons can recover from the pounding. I think you can progress nicely without having to do 9 miles each time, plus a long day.

I bought a REI hydration (double shot) belt months ago, it was $25 and works pretty well running on and off trail.
everyday

Post by everyday »

For water n other liquids, i just use my lil Ferrari back-pack.(its small like a camelpack thing) On anything over 10 miles I take it. I have 3, 24oz polar water bottles and it can hold up to 3, so 72oz for long days. Plus my little 22oz hand held one. I always have that with me, even on just 6milers. i just dont like stuff around my waist when I run is all. But that lil packs awesome. Ima be sad if it ever dies.

and, yeah, like Ze asked, do you have a time youre aiming for? or you just going to finnish for fun? :)
Zach

Post by Zach »

i'm gonna look into the rei solution... the ones i looked at were at sport chalet. i'm really looking only to finish as i feel like since i'm not trying to win the race its just more of a personal goal... BUT with that in mind, I'd like to beat George Bush Jr's time of 3:44:52 because at least then I will have beat him in something... and thus make myself feel better about the shite state of affairs he left this country in. i know, i know... but still allow me this one irrational vice.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Hey everyday, thats some pretty good mileage you're layin down. I hope to get there eventually. Looks like I'll be doing GC this April with a group of friends so I'll finally get to see that place. I'm totally excited about it. I'm into about 100 miles so far, and it's my first time doing anything this big, so wish me luck!
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

I run to in n out and from the couch to the fridge . :lol:
everyday

Post by everyday »

@ Longcut, are you running it, or just walking?? I live right here at the south rim, i'll go run it with ya guys. I go down there all the time Its really fun! I always hafta go alone though because no one else i work with runs down n up the canyon. It takes me 3.5 hrs to get as far as cottonwood camp, its only 5 more miles to the other side (north rim) from there, but its all up of course
longcut

Post by longcut »

We're running it, R2R2R actually which is crazy for me. I won't be as fast as you, just gonna try and survive it. The group I'm going with has a lot more experience but I dont know what kind of times they're shooting for. It would be awesome to have you join us, I've been following your trip reports, good stuff for sure. It's not really my event though but its been open invitation so far so I'll let you know. Mid-April, 5-8 guys so far, friendly supportive group, not a competitive thing at all.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Sweet! i wanna go toooooooo!! :D I havent been to the top of the other side yet, It gets kinda spooky out there alone after cottonwood camp (there no one else around for miles in the winter, ha) Im just getting my running back on track after taking almost all December off, so im fat n slow right now, but should be good by April. Non-competitive works for me. Its nice to enjoy the location sometimes
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

@everday: I pound pavement. Most of my running is roads and paved trails.

Day after tomorrow I hope to have completed marathon #1.
everyday

Post by everyday »

@ Duke JH--So, howd yer marathon go?

@ Longcut--im excited bout run in April! should be fun! :D