20120115 Bull Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Brennen's page: http://www.dankat.com/advents/bullcn.htm

Apparently things have changed, a lot. Since he wrote this, the Grand Prix fire came through and changed everything. The Cucamonga Truck Trail is absolutely choked with Buckthorn, as is the drop in, as are parts of the canyon. This canyon is terribly overgrown.

I do not suggest this canyon to anyone. I invented many new curse words here.

Pics: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... ull%20Cyn/

Some pics here...

Patrick on the Cucamonga Truck Trail. That's all Buckthorn, everyone's favorite plant. How is it so tough yet so flexible? Who the hell designed this plant? There is nothing nice about it. I was wearing shorts all day because I thought this would be an easy canyon. My legs are covered in cuts and blood all the way up to my waist.

99%

Drop in

One of the first rapps

Ty on the last rapp I got pics of, because it was dark after that...

Into the void on a 170ft or so rapp

Wet

The road!

Patrick expressing his gratitude!

Finally done. Finally f'ing done. Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Don't go there. Period. Not worth it. I think we spent 11-13 hours in there.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Yikes . . . glad I missed this one.

Welcome to canyoneering, Patrick!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sam,

I'm way more tired in that last picture than my face raveals.

I'm all for a little bushwhacking but this was near a 8 on a scale of one to 10. Flame throwers were the subject for a good part of the day.

I learned a ton of things about canyoneering and want to thank Ty and Taco for their patient's in teaching me. I'm in for more of this now that my "cherrie's been popped" :shock: :D :D

My pictures are on facebook.

Patrick
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Damn that looks freaking spooky at "The Void" :) What was that red gated thing on your photobucket pictures?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Poor Patrick! Helluva "first" for you. Don't worry, canyoneering can actually be enjoyable! In fact, one wise old canyoneer put it nicely: "Canyoneering: kind of like fun, only different!".
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

cougarmagic wrote: Poor Patrick! Helluva "first" for you. Don't worry, canyoneering can actually be enjoyable! In fact, one wise old canyoneer put it nicely: "Canyoneering: kind of like fun, only different!".
It was a hellofa day but having "bushwhacked" Falls Creek twice last year, the East Branch of the West Fork of Snow Creek twice this year, that crazy upstream push to get the gear back out of Fish Fork two years ago, the Telephone Pole ridge below Modjeska Peak in Nov, I'm getting kind of used to it.

Taco kept apologizing to me for the amount of crap we were working through and I kept saying it wasn't that bad, but he kept looking at me sideways :wink: like there was something wrong with me.

That was a bit much but had there been more water it might have been even thicker and then we'd still be out :shock: there. You really have to want to do that canyon, otherwise you pay the price - we did see one spot where the "pot farmers" had left behind their flex hose for watering their garden, but it was very old and broken - they go to great lengths to grow that stuff these days :roll:

I look forward to doing Fish Fork, Eaton canyon and maybe some water falls in the future, the Rappelling part was quite fun :D .
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Taco wrote: I was wearing shorts all day because I thought this would be an easy canyon. My legs are covered in cuts and blood all the way up to my waist.
I did Buck Point and San Sevaine back in Sept. I was wearing jeans and my legs were shredded from the buckthorn. I cant imagine wearing shorts!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Madrox wrote: Damn that looks freaking spooky at "The Void" :) What was that red gated thing on your photobucket pictures?
This?

Field expedient method of making two strands equal-length while on rappel.

1. Was rappelling using a figure 8/
2. Once over the lip, I could see one strand was too short (this is a double strand rappel)
3. Lock off rappel and get as stable as possible
4. Apply belay device below figure 8
5. Clove hitch on a locker (Am'D) to keep short strand from moving
6. Clip red bentgate biner to running/long strand. You pull on it to allow it to feed (relieve tension, minimize friction)
7. Slowly rapp

Must be done only by super cool rad dudes. The rope will be moving at the anchor, and that means it will be moving over any sharp edges in between. Takes a little bit of coordination and experience.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I've never seen patrick in jeans. I'm also accustomed
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Zach wrote: I've never seen patrick in jeans. I'm also accustomed
Those are not blue jeans, they're stealthy anti-buckthorn soak-up all the water in canyon streamline crotchrotch all purpose canyoneer pants. And damn glad I wore them I still have cuts everywhere :)
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

lilbitmo wrote: .
It was a hellofa day 'm getting kind of used to it

Hey lilbitmo, awesome job! as you were able to hang with the rope pros, on such a tough trek: you inspire other adults to wanna try out a bit less demanding course than what you did. A true canyon man!..... 666
Zach

Post by Zach »

666? is that a biblical reference to the antichrist? the one who will claim diety and persecute the church?
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Zach wrote: 666? is that a biblical reference to the antichrist? the one who will claim diety and persecute the church?
I think its named after the coward who swims in and eats his own shit. =)

Btw very kool trip report!

Patrick...Taco loves this type of stuff,even if he seems miserable,apologizing and cursing at that moment lol.He always comes back to the bushwacking, dirty,and burly canyoneering adventures =D Good times comrades!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8)
everyday

Post by everyday »

Johnny Bronson wrote: ...Taco loves this type of stuff,even if he seems miserable,apologizing and cursing at that moment lol.He always comes back to the bushwacking, dirty,and burly canyoneering adventures =D Good times comrades!
He likes to suffer....- that's probably why he's able to tolerate having me as his girlfriend :D