Cottonwood camp n roaring spring trip

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Hello! I went the farthest I ever have in the canyon yesterday (jan 9th). Down the same trail I did the other day, so I didnt take more pics of that (south kaibab) -anyway, I made it past cottonwood camp to roaring springs. Thats 15.9mi from my start point,just under 32 round trip). I ran the first 26 of the miles in 5hr flat then walked the last 6 miles back up to the south rim. (that walk took me 3hrs! lol, doing a 5000ft hill climb after basically running a marathon, was NOT the most fun ive ever had) but i feel pretty good about it now that im home and have slept 10hrs.

*also, note to other runners who may read this and are unfamiliar with the canyon-, i know 5 hrs for 26 mi is a very unremarkable marathon time, but these are grand canyon miles, much harder than flat or normal hills. It takes even the fastest person over 3 hrs to even do a rim to rim because of the terrain and elevation changes/gains, and thats less than 21 miles. Runnin here is a totally different beast than a normal run.

Anyways, It was really fun fo sho! And It was really cool in the morning because the full moon was still out (i started befor sunrise) -Then, as the sun started to rise the canyon looked really pretty. Lots of pink and pastel colors come out in the early AM that you never see in full daylight. I have no pics of this because It was more about the run this time than photos. It was really fukn awesome though! If you ever come to the canyon, you HAVE to see the sunrise from about a mile down the S. kaibab trail, its the neatest thing Ive ever seen, beats the sunsets all to hell, imo :D

Dis n ele.

South Kaibab Trailhead 0.0 7200ft
Cedar Ridge 1.5mi 6060ft
Tonto Trail Junction 4.4mi 4010ft
Tipoff 4.6 3870ft
Colorado River Bridge 6.2 2480ft
Bright Angel Campground 6.4 2400ft
Phantom Ranch 6.9 2560ft
Ribbon Falls 12.5 3720ft
Cottonwood Campground 14.0 4065ft
Roaring Springs 15.9 5200ft

this is 14mi out

cottonwood camp ranger cabin (theres always water here, and at the pumphouse 2 miles away....i dunno why people think theres no water here in winter....anywhos- there is. Maybe they dont want tourist to know so they can do trail maintenance. But it was there, i was suprised cause ide heard a buncha people say there wasnt. But people live at both those places, so there kinda has to be water! lol. now the faucets ARE off, but they keep big gatorade kegs full of filtered water for whoever comes by.

part of Roaring Springs

break time!

looking north, im only 5 miles from the top of the north rim here

neat tree

big crack!

Ide like to camp here :)

lookin back at the south rim where i started

After runnin 20 of my miles, Time for chocolate!! -I also brought PB'nJelly sandwich, fig newtons and a banana strawberry smoothie type thing (nice thing about running in winter wen its below 50 is your drinks stay cold and chocolate doesnt melt!

***also, should I post this type of stuff in the running section instead?? Does anyone care? lol im never sure it these count as a trip, or a run....
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

should I post this type of stuff in the running section instead?? Does anyone care?

We do care! if you mention too too many #s in your report, then its a racing run report. Hardly any #s then its a trip report......

Cool pics as usual, I appreciate them a lot. Try to include some close ups of the trail along with your pano shots.
A bit of a minor photoshop will make them more outstanding. Please do take early morn shots,
cause its where the visual photo magic is at its best and its worth sacrificing the run once a while
to capture it and for you to enjoy it when you are there and not running at that moment.... 666
everyday

Post by everyday »

666-The Beast wrote: should I post this type of stuff in the running section instead?? Does anyone care?

We do care! if you mention too too many #s in your report, then its a racing run report. Hardly any #s then its a trip report...
OK! I'll put em in running (i tried that b4 but no one ever seemed to see em there, But I'll try again the next few times :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

Keep it here in the TR section, since it's a TR.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Taco wrote: Keep it here in the TR section, since it's a TR.
Oh, OK then! Cool :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Put it in the running section.
everyday

Post by everyday »

No. :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

You know, you're right. Put it in the TR section.
everyday

Post by everyday »

666-The Beast wrote: ... and its worth sacrificing the run once a while
to capture it and for you to enjoy it when you are there and not running at that moment.... 666
Umm..."worth sacraficing" ? thats actually not at all true for me.How can you possibly know whats worth sacraficing to me? I dont sacrafice my fun/passion/RUN! for anything except hanging out with my boyfreind. It is absolutely NOT worth it to me to stop to just take pics. I run because I love it...I do not love photography, so I wont give up the run , ever, just to take a pic of something that happens everyday. I'll leave that to the peeps who love takin pix. I only take pix if it convenient for me. Now, if, someday , im stopping anyways n it happens to be sunrise time, Ill take some pix. mmk? :wink:
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yeah, she takes some pretty terrible photographs. Almost as bad as mine. ;-)
everyday

Post by everyday »

since when is this the professional photography forum anyway? And when did i ever ask for picture lessons? whats the deal with people I dont even know lately telling me what to do? .....i dont even know what the heck photoshop even is/does. and dont care. maybe i should stay off the inter-webzez for a bit since the people on it are getting on my nerves. Maybe this is the wrong place to be saying this, lol.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

We are the borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Don't stress it. Only George is saying to take pics. You should tell him to run your routes at your times. ;-)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

everyday wrote: since when is this the professional photography forum anyway? And when did i ever ask for picture lessons? whats the deal with people I dont even know lately telling me what to do? .....i dont even know what the heck photoshop even is/does. and dont care. maybe i should stay off the inter-webzez for a bit since the people on it are getting on my nerves. Maybe this is the wrong place to be saying this, lol.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

everyday wrote: whats the deal .
We don't see the place the way you see it; how beautiful it really is. You do a wonderful job in taking the pics in order to share them with us and we all appreciate your efforts tremendously. This photoshop bs is like putting premium gasoline in your car, you will notice the ride, no big deal if you don't want to do it, the car can go on regular also......Peacefull journey on the trail or in the van(':lol:') 666
samples:
everyday

Post by everyday »

@ HikeUp, LOL

@ 666- The pics dont show :cry: If i find someone around here who knows about thos photoshop thing maybe Ill check it out. Maybe ryan knows how it works n can show me wen im there. and ya, its hard to catch in pictures with the tiny Iraqi camera i have, the real scope of the canyon here. ...seriously...the camera I have was bought in Iraq like 3 yrs ago.