The last D.U.I. of the year

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

This unusual warm weather motivated me to hike the last trip of the year on the Demanding and Unforgiving Iron mt. It was the best ever weather conditions to have in order to make this demanding trek enjoyable! After 4hrs of a continuous steep uphill trek I reached the top of Iron for the 5th time this past year. I never have the luxury to ever start the optimum early cool time so I am always cursed to have sunny, hell hot, constantly sweating conditions once I leave the fire road and begin the hell-hot iron ascend to the top. This was not like that this rare time so the body felt great on the first half part of the hike to the saddle. I wondered at times if I forgot to bring something as the 15lbs pack felt so light but this feeling went away quickly once I started the first demanding ascent past the saddle. You always cherish every step you take on the shady and flat sections of the trail. Above the halfway point a cool breeze kicked in at times to help you keep going in order to make it past the last tough ridge to the top. Once at the top of Iron, the 360 pano makes you forget what you had to go through in order to get there. Ck out the pics that I took and see that its all worth to go there as many times as you can!.....666

from the parking lot to the top:a pano shot with most of the deceptive tough trek in view
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very nice! Thanks for the pics.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Mike P wrote: Very nice! Thanks for the pics.
you're welcome! We all try share and help people to have fun where ever they go in the forest. Its always nice to know what lies ahead, especially in demanding places like Iron. Also, sharing the pics will motivate some people to go there; for some people who can't go there for what ever reason, it will give them a quick glance of the area. Its part of the sharing....Happy New Year and many fun hikes!!! 666
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

What was in the 75lb pack? Doing some trail work? Some awesome fotos :)
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

I am sure that 75lbs to the marine felt like 17lbs and to the rest of us 175lbs! Being new at this, you tend to overload and before you know it gets heavy fast by wanting to take this and that along. Maybe he wanted to relive his old marine days but you have to admire such an arduous effort to carry all that stuff to the mine. I would consider carrying that weight only if was gold and it was all mine!
Thanks for enjoying the pics, its a great effort that I put in order to capture some special view along the trip. I have to take the pics under less than ideal conditions. I don't have the luxury of unlimited time due to the length of the trek, the difficulty of the terrain and the stressful demand on the body and the mind. Still this endeavor allows you to see, learn, capture and share things from the forest that you would otherwise miss if you were to trek along with no curiosity as to whats out there...... 666
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

So someone took the pack of Marlboro's out of the box? That was the funniest thing I've found to date in any of the register boxes. Nice work, tough hike, great pictures, thanks :D
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

lbm,yes, someone got them; have you priced a pack? the smokes were to be used as a safety action to slow down the fast pacers for a safe decent to the car or provide a more challenging trek to whom ever returned to Baldy via the San Antonio Ridge as you have successfully done many times! Perhaps you might want to take the challenge on your next trip but you will need to provide us with video or photographic documentation!
There is a lot of traffic going to Iron along with trail destruction and very dangerous, slippery trail sections made like that by weak legged humans cause they like to slide down rather than go a bit slower, use controlled and calculated footing thus sparing the trail from erosion. Your favorite section of the trail, the thorny bushes near the top, need a trim job. If this wonderful, warm, winter keeps on going I might go back and try to trim them for I get scratched every time I pass thru there. I hope some people take a caring, personal initiative and trim a section of the trail, I have done some but just one person can't do it all. Perhaps you might consider going up there again to keep yourself in shape for your mountaineering treks that will come up when the big snow blizzard hits the Gabes! Don't forget to replace the cigs along with instructions for their intended use. I am glad you enjoyed the visual show as you know its not an easy thing to accomplish at this trail!!!! 666