20120102 Steele Taco Cyn 2nd Descent

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Much has changed since our first descent in May: https://eispiraten.com/v ... 55&start=0

The recent heavy winds tore down tons of trees and debris, filling the canyon and making what was an easy, fun canyon into a different sort of bushwhack-fest.

Amanda and I did a car shuttle, leaving one car on GMR and one on R39. This beats the old way of hiking back up a ridge to GMR bigtime.

Our rope got stuck on the big rappel, which I'm guessing is around 170ft high. It's a real impressive one. I spent an hour cleaning away foliage from between the anchor and the lip with my machete, which had conveniently been left at this rappel from the last trip. The anchor is 30-40ft back from the lip, so you can imagine the pull is terrible. I had to climb up to the anchor from the bottom of the falls again (like last time) to figure out how to rectify this problem. Think 5.6 climbing up dirt with loose rocks and poison oak everywhere, and it's near vertical. Not recommended.

The solution was to rappel canyon right down the dry side of the falls instead of down the waterfall itself. The pull is more clean and direct this way.

The rest of the canyon went by OK, save for the bushwhacking. What might've been the 10th of 11 rappels was covered by two freshly downed Alder trees, so we downclimbed the trees and carefully picked our way down to the last rappel.

Pics:

Generic pics

Bushwhacking

Amanda on Big Kahuna Falls

The anchor a mile upstream from the rappel. ;-)

My turn down. I think the last shot is of the second time I rapped Big Kahuna Falls, after redirecting the rope.

The really nice waterfall shortly after Big Kahuna

Amanda on the last one.

Going home

LOL
everyday

Post by everyday »

Cool pix! Looks fun honey :D
everyday

Post by everyday »

hey, since you mentioned car shuttle, you remember to tell anyone else in the car to keep towels on the seats so my cars not all icky right? and no muddy shoes as those original embroidered prelude floor mats are hard to get now, and no sugary drinks or candy in tha car too, unless the person who has it is willing to pay to have the interior steam cleaned wen they spill it. Only bottled water is cool . and never set cans or glass bottles on top of car! theres a reason it looks like new after 19 years, its cause i never do that stuff,
...go ahead n drive tha hell outa it on the mtn roads if ya want now though since the breaks are fixed.. ok. thats all....Take some pics next time you take her somewhere pleeze, i miss my car :D See ya in a few weeks hon! -and thanx, again, for takin care of my car for the winter! Its been a big help knowing its safe with you in so-cal!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yes. I think?

I use the towel. Yer car is always the last to be sat in...
everyday

Post by everyday »

OK! cool. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

And I need to BROtate yer tires.
everyday

Post by everyday »

go for it, Rotate away hon! :D