20111228 Morris Canyon Foist Dissent

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

My friend Deb and I knocked out an unknown canyon near Morris Dam yesterday. Probably the first descent AND FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE, one worth doing again! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7 rapps, longest was 100ft from anchor to touchdown. No special anchor challenges or anything. Water flow was minimal, just enough to soak your feet. Some healthy booshwhacking on the way in, as well as towards the end of the canyon. Really nice shaded canyon the rest of the time.

The canyon ends just south of Morris Dam. You exit via the road that reaches the base of the dam and heads across the river and up to R39.

This was Deb's first time canyoneering. She is a very experienced climber.

Pics

Looking down from the top of the canyon

Clearing up... bad photo

Deb atop Rapp 1

Bam

Some downclimbing

Next rapp

Bushwhacking

ID THE SUCCULENT!!!!! This one is different from most you see.

Down from one of the final rapps

Ze dam, boss! Ze dam!

Rapp

Just long enough! 100ft rapp anchor-to-touchdown

Pic of Deb taken from atop 'The Bunker'

Rapping off 'The Bunker'. Post-apocalyptic canyoneering right here.

Final rapp

Cheers errrrrrrrbody!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Also, we found eleven of those metallic balloons in this canyon. ELEVEN. How the heck did they all die here? I've seen hundreds up here in my life, but never so many in one place.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Taco, how much poison oak do you go through when you go down canyons like these?
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Does "bunker" = secret SGMDF lair? Great pictures. I love the shot of Morris Dam.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Dam, nice pictures - I'll second Mike P's question, how much PO is there on those cayoneer trips - I'm itching just looking at those pictures. :shock: :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Usually we find a crapton of PO. There wasn't much now, but it is basically "fall" at the moment, so it's harder to spot as they shed their leaves. I don't think we had much in this canyon.

Elwood, if only. That would be cool.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Nice. There's a lot of variety in that one, what with the structures and all.

I agree - looked like Poison Oak National Park to me. Good luck...one esteemed forum member here (Ryhmes with Jatt Jaxon) recently found out he is no longer immune. It don't last forever!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LOL that sucks. Poor Jatt. ;-)

It kinda reminded me of Bailey Canyon, but better, sorta kinda. Same sorta foliage, same sorta rock, and the same general feel.
everyday

Post by everyday »

As to the poison oak question, The few canyons ive gone to out there Ive only gotten PO once. It wasnt too bad. Anyways, it's totally worth it imo. I mean, ya gotta expect to get beat up at least a little doing stuff like this. just the price you pay for exploring new places and having fun. If you dont want scratches, bug bites or a rash then stay outa the woods foo's :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:)