East Fork River To Allison Gulch

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

This is the best time of the year to visit the river: cool weather,no bugs, easy crossings, not too many people, lite on the trash, less water use. Time will run out when a big snow storm arrives and the river rocks and rolls. Then we will patiently wait for the summer time to go back again......666
andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

Nice pics. I have to agree about the time of year. no bugs, no snakes, few people. Although, I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather yesterday and went as far as the bridge to nowhere. 80 degrees makes those crossings really refreshing.

Only bad part is the sun setting so early. We ran into some hikers on the way back who hadn't thought to bring a flashlight on an afternoon hike. We stumbled on them halfway between Swan Rock and Heaton trail camp around 6. A mile and a half with 3 stream crossings would have been a long way to go in the dark. Good thing for them we never make it to the trailhead on time either.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

at the 3 mile mark

Welcome to the freak(sometimes), informative(most of the time),entertaining(all the time) show of the SGMDF!
Thanks for your appreciation of the pics, cause I try put lot of effort to capture a magic glimpse in nature but as always this medium is not as accurate as you being there in person. I think the better you know the place the more you appreciate the effort and the result of the photographic endeavor otherwise you just click next!
You make a very important point of preparedness, timing, the great civility and helpfulness that is always present in the hiking community especially when one is in need of assistance.
The East Fork River trek is a great trip to experience by walking-as much as you can handle-close to the river and to boulder hop as much as your legs can stand to keep you moving. Be aware also of the return trip cause thats where the trouble lies as you had to help some people to see in the dark! It gets better each time you return.....666