A Gate For Cobb Estate

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh cool.

That's OK. Nothing a different kind of scout can't fix. :wink:
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

The sooner this area gets locked down at night the better for the forest and the neighborhood.
During the day civil crowds park quietly and enter the forest to enjoy themselves. At night a very disruptive, youngish, irresponsible crowd shows up and enters the forest for the sole purpose of conducting illicit activities at the expanse of the forest and all the nice people that make their homes near the Cobb Estate area. There have been a few fires started in this area and if you go up the ridge it is littered with lots of items that belong in the trash and not left behind in the forest.
They park irresponsibly thus causing traffic problems and return at odd late hours back in the neighborhood yelling, screaming obscenities, graffiting the sidewalks, walls, leaving empty bottles of alcohol on the sidewalk and drive away under the influence!
Its an affortable solution for the FS and the city. Henninger Flats entrance by the bridge has a similar plan thats working out for a long time. Its kind of sad for the inconvenience that will cause for some late hikers but when there is no affortable manpower to police the area what else is there to do?
Lock them in or lock them out!..... 666
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Anyone supporting this kind of BS ought to pack their bags and head for the FEMA camp. Why wait for increasingly oppressive regulation herd you into the corral. Just go now, the government will protect you.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've seen the young punks heading up to Echo, but there are an awful lot of just regular hikers such as myself who frequent the Cobb estate in the evening. I sure hate to lose my evening hike spot.
... Mike McIntyre [USFS] writes ... that he is welcoming any public input on the proposal. McIntyre can be reached at mmcintyre@fs.fed.us.
HJ
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

That area has been a cesspool for years at night (well, often times during the day, too). If they can find a way to keep it open during the day and closed at night, it's a good idea. That area has been patrolled on a regular basis for years (The late George Geer used to be one of them), but you'd have to have someone sitting there 24/7 to keep people out of trouble (that ain't gonna happen people).

I don't think anyone wants to see a gate around it, but unfortunately, it's another place that people ruin that can't be feasibly managed, so other propositions have to be considered. Don't forget to email District Ranger Mike M with your opinions though, and get your idea out there.

Maybe we can get PackGreg to sit down there and be a gatekeeper? He can read his books about the Sierra and anti-government groups and be useful at the same time?
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Stalkers in general are pathetic. One Mtn Man stalking another is just plain gay. Leave me alone, asshole, and keep this forum friendly.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

I prefer the Henninger gate set up for the Cobb Estate. All of you 24hrs access crowd cry all you want but the days of civility has never existed, its been nothing but chronic trouble in this area and this gate project will help bring a little peace to the forest and the hood.

Sun is out: open for business, nice tall fence with some ornamental barb wire to diminish your desire to jump over

we have rules and its going to cost ya if you break them

Closed for the night! go some where else to party.....
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

PackerGreg wrote: Stalkers in general are pathetic. One Mtn Man stalking another is just plain gay. Leave me alone, asshole, and keep this forum friendly.
The irony is amazing.

Anyhow, I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas weekend!
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

I had my first run-in with that gate on Christmas! From the wrong side.

It was a bit of a surprise being locked *into* the forest with no signs or warnings down below - at least, none that I saw in the dark. I was looking at the topo and thought, "Oh, I'll take this bridge across and back down the street to my car."

Standing there thinking - Now I understand what gate everyone is talking about. :{

They could at least have a sign on the inside with some information about why you're locked in. There were also a bunch of folks smoking pot who were also surprised to be locked in. (Guess they can't read because they actually came through the gate to begin with).

I would have just climbed around to the right, but the girlfriend and dog were with me.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

"Unless there’s a legitimate safety or environmental issue, an open trailhead is an inviting trailhead"

uh, that's kinda the point. :roll:
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Maybe they should just do like the railroads and put up a blue light when it is safe to enter.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

People living in the area should have more of a say about their hood situation
than all the crusading outsiders that have already stated their own selfish interests or ignorance of this matter.
I am sure if all that Heninnger crowd lived at this area, a fence and gate would be in place
along with their inconvenient parking restrictions for the visiting people!
All of you barking gateless dogs why don't you address that closure?

Cause money talks and barking dogs walk!