Meet Big Tom

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Same location, two cameras facing different angles. The first walkby is 5am December 9th, then he comes back at 8am, about one minute behind a very twitchy buck, who is clearly being stalked.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Stunning video, absolutely stunning!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

OK, that does it. I'm not going outside ever again.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

RichardK wrote: Stunning video, absolutely stunning!
Thank you! This is one of my favorites for sure.
OK, that does it. I'm not going outside ever again.
Jane and I were doing night hikes up to this spot in August, when it was too hot to hike during the day.

gulp.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HikeUp wrote: OK, that does it. I'm not going outside ever again.
Wow! Do they make a hiking style of Depends?
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

That's cool! Definately need to change my shorts if I came face-to-face with that big boy!. :shock: Wonder how long it had been stalking the buck - tigers can sit and wait for hours for the right moment to attack, so I'd imagine a cougar would do it too.
Suggestion: Put a marked stick in the field-of-view, next to but out of the natural walking track, so you can get an idea of how big they are when they come into the field of view. Mark it in one foot increments, maybe even smaller for the smaller critters.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Wow, look at the size of those front paws!!!!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Wow, this is interesting. Pretty much everyone I've shown this too has the same reaction. usually people say "wow, that's cool" or "what a beautiful animal" but this one is coming across scary. Do you think the camera angle makes him look really big, or is it the stalking movement that is disturbing?

Here are some comparison pics. I will definitely plant a yardstick up there next time I go. I'm 5'8" tall. it is tough to line the shots up exactly, but these are very close.

cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Also fun: Here are the deer in need of prozac:
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Hey CM, bingo! you hit the catpot!!!, what a show!!! and what a scare to the weak of kitty-heart!
Perhaps you could tell us the area so it can become desolate from any of the SGMDF people after they see this awesome video! Maybe you should post a warning such as "don't view this vid as it will permanently change your fun in the forest for it will install a permanent cat-phobia! Having seen a kitty this size couple times and being over the initial scare that lingers in your mind for a while -especially when its a live showing, I find the comments entertaining!!!
666...a friend of this beast as long as I am not its lunch!
PS: look the dented stomach, he has not eaten for a while and wants a snack soon!!!
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Oh yes you will go out again! From now on you will have to drink your beer or take a big pharma anti-anxiety candy before you start the hike as to forget who will be around the forest watching you! If you want to get more protective put on a kevlar armor and you are safe to go on and enjoy the forest. There is another option that some want to use or already carry with them in the forest but I will refrain from recommending it.....
666...friend of the kitty but not its lunch!!!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Beastie Boy. :D

CM, it's tongue in cheek of course, but just the pure raw power of this cat is impressive. Plus he's got this twitch in his step as he's stalking like he can hardly contain himself from just charging after the deer. Like his blood sugar is too low or something :D

Big pointy teeth too.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

It wasnt that cold out....heck, the lion wasnt even wearing a sweater. :D

Oh you mean because of the lions?!8) The sneaky approach was to get a good view of the deer for viewing and to make sure no harm came to the deer. Just look at the cuddly wuddly lions.

So yeah, now you can go solo pre-dawn and hike the lower Bear Creek trail....and if you hear that rustling in the bushes approaching, its simply a lion for your own protection....until you are stalked and eaten that is. :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

AW wrote: It wasnt that cold out....
HAHA!

OK, well if you want to avoid this guy, just stay away from...oh, let's see....Switzer, Bear Canyon, Mt Wilson, Mt Lowe, the West Fork, Shortcut Canyon, heck let's just say the whole Gabrielino trail, Eaton Canyon, and probably Strawberry Peak (I'm pretty sure he violates the closure. Not for lack of respect - it's just they don't read so good).
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote: ... it's just they don't read so good.
Wah! Huh?
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

AW wrote: . Just look at the cuddly wuddly lions.

AW, you are too late in posting the cuddly-wuddly looking kitties!!! We would have enjoyed them had we not first seen the big T video, now its scary kitty fear time to be in the forest! CM, please remove the video or nobody will dare go to the forest anymore... we rather be ignorant of whats in the forest.....666
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

What a bunch of wussy boys! When you realize that you will be the cat's next meal, don't run or fight - you will only die tired. Instead, throw your head back so the beast can get a clean shot at ripping your throat out. As you feel his teeth sinking in, shout out "Valhalla I am coming".
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:
Wow! Do they make a hiking style of Depends?
:lol: :lol:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote: What a bunch of wussy boys! When you realize that you will be the cat's next meal, don't run or fight - you will only die tired. Instead, throw your head back so the beast can get a clean shot at ripping your throat out. As you feel his teeth sinking in, shout out "Valhalla I am coming".
OK, so now we've gotten our practical advice for the week. :shock: :lol:

HJ