Mountain Lion Track?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Eaton Canyon
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

SageUrsus wrote: Eaton Canyon
uhhh.. "Eaton Cyn" isn't a Mtn Lion track... :?

http://www.bear-tracker.com/cougar.html

This here photo is about as good as it gets

moar in the same series
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Sorry, I thought I uploaded the pictures. :roll:

But here are a couple Image

The track was more clear in person.. and if you back away from your monitor you can see it
But it does look like the pictures you posted!(Btw were you the one who came across those tracks??) Thanks!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Hmmmmm......I can only make these a definite "maybe." I don't see claws, the overall shape and size are right, and the palm pad looks wider than a dog. Were you off trail? So many people walk dogs at Eaton. however I've seen lion tracks on the road several times. They are up there.

If I only saw the top photo, I'd say lion. If I only saw the bottom photo, I'd say dog...

Good pics! I love all track photos, especially tough ones. (makes me think!)
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Cougarmagic! You are my hero and the reason why I look for tracks when I hike. I've been hiking for a few years now(mainly Mt. Wilson , Bailey Canyon, Eaton Canyon and Chantry Flat)your videos have confirmed that I'm not crazy and that lions, foxes and bears do live up in the San Gabriel Mountains! :D

They're both the same track just a different picture- I was hoping to get a better picture.

And yes! I was attracted off trail to an area that isn't heavily used by humans but was filled with deer grazing. I also found a bunch of animal trails in this area. (I would love to send you a PM of this exact location if ya want!)

Thank you for all the videos and the response!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Yeah I took those photos. If I'm remembering correctly it was on Yerba Buena Ridge

And I concur with my colleague's cogent analysis

I'm seeing a hint of claws in the top photo, some dirt has fallen back into it but it seems to be there

matt
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Hey Matt thank you so much for your thoughts! I was actually attracted to this track for three reasons
#1 the location
It was on an "animal trail" that was impassable for a human to walk through(at least easily. There was a bush that only allowed about 3-4 feet of clearance- I had to crawl under)

#2 size
It was huge! I've seen many large dog tracks but not as big as this one! Haha

#3 claw marks
I didn't see any claw marks which i thought was a good indication of a mountain lion.

I have more photos that'll ill post up later tonight! :D

Thanks a lot Matt!

Tony
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

SageUrsus wrote: Cougarmagic! You are my hero and the reason why I look for tracks when I hike.
Aw shucks!
SageUrsus wrote: your videos have confirmed that I'm not crazy and that lions, foxes and bears do live up in the San Gabriel Mountains! :D
Indeed - they are everywhere. And you can always do tracking, no matter what the "reason" for your hike. All you need is to be out in the mountains - doesn't matter if you're peak bagging, walking the dog, or even just car camping. That's one of the things I like best.
SageUrsus wrote: They're both the same track just a different picture- I was hoping to get a better picture.
:oops: Doh! I didn't even notice!

I'm still not sure on this track, but here are some things to notice in Matt's pics, to help with future track ID - lion tracks are asymmetrical. The second toe is longer than the others, so the overall shape of the foot is not perfectly oval or round. In dog tracks (including coyote and fox), the two middle toes line up perfectly. Also, if you're lucky enough to see a whole line of tracks, a dog will wander all over the trail like a drunken ice pirate. Lions don't mess around - they have a straight, efficient line. So you can get a lot of other clues aside from just the shape of the paw. (which lots of times is unclear depending on the soil condition)

I'm glad you're interested in this too! I will never get tired of looking at tracks, so take more pics. PM sent about Eaton.