Rockbound ridge from Hwy39 11/5

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Half day hike partly up the ridge. The day started off with plenty of hunters along Hwy39. I started at 7:45 am and finished at 12:30pm.

The ridge itself looks brushy, but for those parts the brush was about 2-3ft tall only....and it was pretty much easy going. There was one 60ft section of tall buckthorn that I cut into the ridgeside to get around, but the buckthorn and manzanita didnt cause any problems for long pants.

The views were nice. It had snowed the night before and eventually I landed in the snow. I turned around close to elev 6000 mainly because I knew it was about to get really steep and narrow to boot.

Heading back down, I got offtrack and then decided to head for Rockbound canyon. I ended up going down heartattack(or high blood pressure if you prefer) steep ridge and ended up at the canyon bottom around 10:30am. A short hike up to see the big drop in this canyon, but I got too lazy to get the good picture.

The canyon itself below the drop was brush free, kinda steep, but eventually water started flowing and had a bit of vegetation. Luckily I was going downhill so it wasnt a hassle.

The first view is of the rugged canyon Rockbound+1 south

straightforward route along the ridge to the South Hawkins fireroad

Valley of the moon/crystal lake area

ridge travel towards the fireroad

SHawkins

Twin Peaks and Waterman

looking at the big drop in Rockbound canyon

better vantage of it

canyon bottom looking towards the big drop...too lazy to get around this drop in front of me

Looking back in this canyon has some good views

sideways growing tree

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dang that looks fun. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Did you wear antlers? :wink:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Did you wear antlers? :wink:
There were a couple of loud booms from Crystal Lake and one from Bichota, but I wasnt much of a target....a kinda of wear orange type of day though just to be of the safer side.

Oh and there is another ridge to the fireroad ,Solider Creek...easier elev gain to boot.