How do I keep coyotes out of my yard?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

This morning my cat and I were surprised by the sight of a coyote bounding across our back lawn! We live in Burbank in the hillside district and are used to seeing them in the neighborhood and even under the deck in back (there's an easement that runs the length of the block between backyards) but this is the first time I've seen one in the backyard proper, though I'm going to guess that they've been there before.

We don't leave food or water out. We bring our pets in at night. We have a 5' brick/iron wall and two gates with 4' low spots on the ends. Raising the wall/gates is not practical (renting) . I've read that wolf urine is supposed to act as a repellent but I don't know how effective that would be in SoCal.

Any suggestions? My wife has said that she will blame me if her little dog gets eaten, so my life is on the line as well!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Have your wife stay outside to keep them away. ;-)

No, but seriously, something along that wolf urine path might work. I would imagine they're easy to scare away, maybe with some sort of decoy perhaps?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Raising your fence wouldn't help anyway - they climb to well.

Are there fruit trees in your yard?

Remember that dusk and dawn are dangerous for pets, too.

If it were me, I'd try hazing the ones you see - bang some pots and pans together and try to scare the bejeezus out of them. Or try a string of empty soda cans along the fence line - if they try to climb it, the noise should scare them off.

I think the wolf urine thing is a joke to see how many people make their yards stink really bad (like the advice to eat poison oak to become immune). In my experience, all canines are super attracted to scents of all kinds.

Contact Mary Cummins at Animal Advocates for better (professional) advice. http://www.animaladvocates.us/
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Get a pet Roadrunner.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Cans on a string might work, but this would be much more entertaining...

http://www.metalstorm.com/content/view/38/98/
Redback automatically tracks and registers targets. It can slew at speeds up to 700 deg/sec and can acquire and fire at 3 targets in approximately 1.2 seconds, selecting the appropriate munition for each target.

Gonna save up my REI dividends to get one soon.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

UC Davis has a very imformative pamphlet on repelling coyotes at http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74135.html.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Send em to Palm Springs! I try to find ways to get MORE to my yard wen Im there! Theres usually only 1 pair and their pups each year and I dont see em often enough..Or to the Grand Canyon, ive been here 4 months n not even found a track :(
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We have coyote problems in north Orange County as well. Animal control is useless. They won't do anything unless a person has been attacked. All of the outside cats disappearing didn't count. A google search for "urban coyotes" will turn up suggestions, but who knows if any of them are really effective. Likewise, raccoons are another difficult situation. A neighbor got tired of his newly sodded lawn being dug up by raccoons. He put out a trap (in violation of DFG regs) and hauled a dozen of them to the Cleveland National Forest. You are supposed to hire a licensed trapper, but who has money for that? Good luck!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote: We have coyote problems in north Orange County as well. Animal control is useless. They won't do anything unless a person has been attacked. All of the outside cats disappearing didn't count. A google search for "urban coyotes" will turn up suggestions, but who knows if any of them are really effective. Likewise, raccoons are another difficult situation. A neighbor got tired of his newly sodded lawn being dug up by raccoons. He put out a trap (in violation of DFG regs) and hauled a dozen of them to the Cleveland National Forest. You are supposed to hire a licensed trapper, but who has money for that? Good luck!
Tell your neighbor to be careful. Racoons are pretty smart...

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

RichardK wrote: Likewise, raccoons are another difficult situation. A neighbor got tired of his newly sodded lawn being dug up by raccoons. He put out a trap (in violation of DFG regs) and hauled a dozen of them to the Cleveland National Forest.
JEEEZZZ! Now those urban raccoons are going to carry canine distemper to their country cousins and possibly contribute to a raccoon die-off. The foothills of the San Gabriels are just getting over a die-off of Gray Fox due to canine distemper.

Mixing populations like that is not a good idea. What do they say about unintended consequences....?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

RichardK wrote: All of the outside cats disappearing didn't count.
People shouldn't have outside cats. (...if they don't want wild animals to eat them. But also on a personal level, I'm really sick of neighborhood cats crapping all over my lawn and spraying my car and front steps, not to mention the midnight yowling.)

Not a personal accusation mind you - just a general rant, but in case of living in a wildlife rich area, pets should not be left outside unprotected.
greg_fs

Post by greg_fs »

Get a bigger dog to protect the cat and little dog from coyotes.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

I could use a coyote of two in my neighborhood. We've got two 'cat people' that refuse to get their precious fuzzballs fixed, so we're overrun by cats every spring. I typically send at least one litter to the pound (I've got a quiet backyard with no dogs or kids), and the pound personnel are getting to know me quite well.

And if the coyotes are looking for some variety, they can feast on my neighbor's chihuahuas (aka "barking rats").
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

atomicoyote wrote: And if the coyotes are looking for some variety, they can feast on my neighbor's chihuahuas (aka "barking rats").
:lol:

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

CM and atomicoyote: Don't get me started on feral cat colonies...!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Bigger dogs don't always work either. A neighbor in chino hills had his 90 pound lab attacked during the middle of the day by a coyote. It's pretty crazy.

Then about 2 months later a coyote tried to carry a baby off and they sent in fish and game and killed something like 22 coyotes. Sad.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stor ... f599a.html
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Thanks for all of the useful (and entertaining) responses. My wife put up a couple of very "attractive" strings of cut up Coors Light cans over our gates. (If we ever move to the trailer park we'll be all set).

The UC Davis piece was very informative. I am afraid that the coyotes in the neighborhood are indeed losing their fear of humans which ultimately won't be good for them. I am going to take to discouraging their presence rather than just observing and accepting them. I figure it's in our mutual best interest.

I have lost a couple of cats to coyotes :cry: and our present feline had a close call a few years ago. He willingly comes in at night and rarely ventures out of the backyard anymore. He is the best mouser I've ever had so his forays outside are easy to rationalize and beneficial.

Thanks for all of the input! Here's a video of our cat and dog playing:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

My daughter likes your video. :)

HJ
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

the coors light should do the trick in scaring them off.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Get a couple of kegs and invite all of your buds to come over.
Tell them the toilet is clogged and ask them to relieve themselves on the perimeter of your property. Then the coyotes will smell a pack....

[I was once told that is effective against deer in VT...]
Good luck. :twisted:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There's beer involved? I'll be right over. :wink:

HJ
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Get a couple of kegs and invite all of your buds to come over.
Tell them the toilet is clogged and ask them to relieve themselves on the perimeter of your property. Then the coyotes will smell a pack....
THERE's the solution I've been waiting for!