Dubois, Wyoming and a couple of bikes

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
obie

Post by obie »

We hit the road for a ten day, car camping, low-budget. mtbike kinda Nat.Parks tour of Utah and Wyoming. By the time we get to a very cold, gnarly Dubois, Wyo. we are over the stark beauty of Wyoming and limit the bike part of the stay to one decent ride out of town which ends with me calling it quits instead of busting past a couple of German Shephards out on the road in front of a ranch . Spent last day reading Gretel Ehrlich on how it goes in deep Wyo. Good stuff. Fine trip.

Downtown Dubois

Around the corner from the house the hunter's left a tidbit for the dogs. Last month a grizzly came into town to check the meat house dumpster for some snacking.

Heading north

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice!

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah catches me completly offguard. We head in thru mesas of pine and brush with some monuments off in the distance. We make camp at South Point campground (nice, quiet spot) and head over next day to watch the sun rise over the canyon. The hoodoos are so unwordly in light I'm not sure what I'm seeing - they are wonderfully colorful and strange. We take a couple of hikes: the Under Rim Trail which winds down thru hoodoos and out to the pine ridge and down. We head back up to trailhead and take the Peek-A-Boo trail down thru the hoodoos which are clustered thick along the trail in the area called the Ampitheater. Great hiking trail.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Oh yeah! Nice. Been a few years since I've been up that way, but I remember it well. Outstanding place.

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Moab was the best riding of the trip. Camping along the Colorado was fine - we set up at Big Bend. Having to choose between hiking thru Arches or riding Moab was easy - we did both. The ride out Kane Creek was fun and Hurrah Pass was a nice place for lunch and just hanging around.

Moab from above Hurrah Pass

Big Bend
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks pretty sweet. Haven't been out to Moab, but one of these days...

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Looks pretty sweet. Haven't been out to Moab, but one of these days...

HJ
HJ: Yep, for a first-timer like me, pretty much all of Southern Utah was tres cool. Moab = MTB Mecca. Good times.