Chantry Flats to Hoegee's

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Hi,

New guy here. I have been searching everywhere online and found this forum...I'm hoping that someone can help me answer a question I had where I can't seem to find an answer for.

I am planning doing an overnight @ Hoegee's this weekend and I am wondering if you can hammock camp at this campground. Based on pictures I've seen online it looks like you can - saw a ton of trees. However, having no experience camping here, I figured I would ask here and get everyone's opinion.

I am open to tent camping and can bring mine but opting for a lighter base weight for my pack, I would prefer taking my hammock/tarp setup instead.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Thanks!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've been to Hoegee's plenty of times, but I don't think I've ever looked through the lens of "where do I set up my hammock."

You are right though, there are plenty of trees. (see photo) I'm pretty sure you could find something.

HJ
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Thanks for the reply HJ!

I'm still undecided at this point...hopefully others will chime in as well. I really appreciate the quick reply!

EDIT: I forgot to add that with a hammock setup, level ground is not necessary since you would be off the ground :). All you really need are two trees that are anywhere from 15ft to 20ft apart...it can also be on a slope.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mangus7175 wrote: Thanks for the reply HJ!

I'm still undecided at this point...hopefully others will chime in as well. I really appreciate the quick reply!

EDIT: I forgot to add that with a hammock setup, level ground is not necessary since you would be off the ground :). All you really need are two trees that are anywhere from 15ft to 20ft apart...it can also be on a slope.
I'm 99% sure you'd find that there. I've hammock camped before, but not there.

There's plenty of trees, and not too much brush. I think you're good to go.

HJ
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Thanks! Worst case, I don't mind going to the ground with just a tarp...I can use the hammock fabric as a ground cloth.

I'll post a TR when I get back.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Oh yeah, there are plenty of oak and bay trees in and around the campsites from which one can string a hammock, especially at the west end of the campground, but you might beware of banzai "freeriding" mountain bikers crashing into the campground from Upper Winter Creek Trail. Remember, there is no CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) policy that suggests that one may not camp outside the provided sites.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

PackerGreg wrote: Oh yeah, there are plenty of oak and bay trees in and around the campsites from which one can string a hammock, especially at the west end of the campground, but you might beware of banzai "freeriding" mountain bikers crashing into the campground from Upper Winter Creek Trail. Remember, there is no CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) policy that suggests that one may not camp outside the provided sites.
Will do...I'll remember this :)
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

I should be more clear. I am quite familiar with Big Santa Anita Canyon, and I know that there are times when folks, most often a citizen or two, try to "police" Winter Creek. Just a heads up to tell any big shots to stuff it.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Understood.

This will be my first time doing this trail so any advise IS truly appreciated.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

BTW, I forgot to add.

If anyone would like to join us this weekend just let me know.

We are planning on meeting at the Chantry Flats parking lot (or Adam's Pack Station) this Saturday (10/15) @ 8AM - due to the parking lot being busy during weekends, it would be best to get there around 7AM.

It's around a 3 mile hike from Chantry to Hoegee. Plan is to setup camp then dayhike around the area...possibly to Sturtevant - then pack up Sunday (10/16) and hike down to the cars.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Don't forget music at the pack station and Eric's Slow Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwiches on the way out - last of the season!