First Snow in the Sierras

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

I'm loving it here in Three Rivers (but I sure miss the San Gabriels)

View of Alta Peak and Moro Rock:
http://www.kaweahcommonwealth.com/netcam/netcam.jpg

MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

If you're going to live in the Sierra, you better learn how to pronounce/spell it.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Are you talking about my spelling of MORO Rock? Morro Rock is on the coast...
http://www.visitsequoia.com/moro-rock.aspx
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

No response? I didn't think so. Yet another obnoxious, smart-assed drive-by from MtnBoy.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

No Diphole, I'm talking about the Sierra... it's not the "Sierra's". There is no "s" to describe the mountain range. Ever.

Amateur mistake, it's ok. :wink:
jfr

Post by jfr »

I normally stay away from threads visited by the Grammar Police, but I think this time that both spellings and usages are correct.

I found this quote on dictionary.com:

"In ten thousand years the Sierras
Will be dry and dead, home of the scorpion."
-Gary Snyder

Gary Snyder is a famous poet, so it's hard to tell if he's mangling the language; after all, he has a Poetic License to do whatever he wants with it. 8)
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

Dip Hole ? Really?? Carefull big guy !!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/stori ... ierras.pdf

So I guess one can say you're admissible. People will still smirk and laugh at you, however especially if you spend any amount of time living or playing in the SIERRA. But you're probably used to that from the sounds of the folk in the canyon.

An funny example of the ridicule is the large maroon colored water tank on the north end of Owens Lake just before entering Lone Pine on Hwy 395. When they painted it a few years ago and put the title "Gateway to the Eastern Sierras", they got so much grief by everyone, they went through the trouble of repainting the whole thing and changed it to "Gateway to the Eastern Sierra".

PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Well, I don't know how you people speak in the world of pretentious wannabe mountain men, but to us foothill country folk "the Sierras" is synonymous with "the mountains". Yes, I said US. Do not presume that I barged in here like one of you LA know-it-alls. This little house in Three Rivers has been my home away from home for forty years. This is where I first learned to ride a horse, milk a cow, shoot quail, catch a trout with my hands...

Do you hike the San Gabriel or the San Gabriels?

The big issue at hand is that you are an asshole. My friends at the local newspaper put much money and energy into installing a webcam aimed at the Sierras and I think it is pretty cool, so I shared the link here. Then you come along and shit on my post. If you really felt the need to be a big shot, you could have kindly "educated" me on the subject. But no, you had to make a snide remark. You didn't even give me the benefit of doubt, assuming as you do there is only one spelling, that maybe I simply made a typo, being that A and S lie side by side on the keyboard. I know you don't like me because I don't have my nose so far up the ass of the Angeles management that I can't get a good look at it as a whole, and I have pointed out its shortcomings, but you are often a dick and this is not the first time you have pissed off a forum member. Worse yet is that you are chicken-shit not to identify yourself, especially after insinuating that you know of me personally. So chicken-shit, it appears, that you relish in the anonymity of your malicious comments.

So, MtnBoy, come forward or leave me the Hell alone! You are foolish if you think that I am incapable of learning your identity, should I decide to spend the energy, whether by investigating the forest or the inner workings of this forum. Sorry to the rest of you for my language - I was just minding my own business until this troll came out from under the bridge yet again.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Haha, don't sweat this guy greg. My abnormally-small-genital-alarm is beeping like a champ right now...i think I know why he's lashing out.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

shreddy

Post by shreddy »

I thought this was a forum that trolls didn't bother with but I guess that's not the case. I expect this stuff on a football board or political board, but not on a forum where folks post great trip reports, photos, animal vids etc. Pretty laid back here and friendly.

Always enjoy your posts PG and I could care less if it's Sierras or Sierra. I always refer to the range as The Sierras, but I'm just a rube who loves the San Gabriels :D

Did I miss a comma??? :lol:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Kindness breeds kindness. Being rude takes but a split second; the negative impact from that behavior can last forever. :shock:

I know who i'd rather be on a deserted island with.

I was in the Sierra(s) this weekend Greg and it was bee-u-tee-full... any way you want to spell it! :D Thanks for posting.

p.s. Burchey, you kwack me up!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You're all assholes.

And yes, it's Sierra. :-)

And you're still all assholes.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Shut up asshat.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Use the search function for this board. There are 90 topics where the plural "sierras" is found including some of mine.
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

it is more of "a matter of preference" according to a historic opinion of an organization that bears the word in its name.

http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/stori ... ierras.pdf

if you see any gramatical error above, i may or may not done so due to my personal preference :D
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

There always this one too...

http://www.baconorbeercan.com/

:D :P :D
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

MtnMan wrote: Image
OK Mtn Boy, am I getting warm?...

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HikeUp wrote: Shut up asshat.
LOL

I love you guys :)
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL! :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This is going somewhere.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

OK children... Getting back to snow in the Sierra...

Last Thursday, I drove up 395 to South Lake Tahoe. From just north of Mammoth to almost the Nevada border I was in a decent snow storm. At one point I had to fall in behind a snow plow!

From Echo Summit on Friday (10/07) morning:
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

PackerGreg wrote:
OK Mtn Boy, am I getting warm?...

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Pooh belongs in the Flora and Fauna section. The asshat out front should have told you.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

LMFAO!