Lower Solider Creek 9/19

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Supposed to be a try at Bear Creek Narrows but Caltrans had put a guy out at the end of Hwy39 to bar further progress so.....maybe they will be opening that final stretch within the next 2 years.

With my car back at Bear Creek trailhead, I tried to salvage the morning by revisiting Lower Solider Creek. I didnt have fond memories of it the first time, and this time around was no better,albeit a lot more water. I did the downclimb in a gully to get around pretty Lewis Falls.

I went to explore the north ridge of Rockbound canyon, but managed about 40ft from the road before turning around. It was just a really hot and I wanted no part of the heat. Back to the car and into the smog.

One of the few places where one can see escape is futile

Log downclimb

Falls just upstream of Lewis Falls

Lewis Falls from the top of the first tier(the falls are actually 2 tiered)

Downclimb crux in the gully
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice! Is this the ditch south of the Crystal Lake area? :wink:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Nice! Is this the ditch south of the Crystal Lake area? :wink:
Kind of....I think Right around elevation 5000 it still looks like a ditch very close to the road but by the time you get down there the creek starts dropping fast. Total elevation loss is 1000ft.
http://www.dankat.com/advents/lowsol.htm
I only want to change the 3 star scenic rating to 1 star....and the description makes it look like a romp down a scenic creek....not.

The topo has a trail marked on it that is supposed to be high on the east side of the creek.....I didnt see,both from the canyon and the highway, any way a hiker could get across that space.