20110823 Rubio Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Patty and I took the easy/short approach. Thank you CM for letting me know there was such a thing!

To sum it up, this is an excellent beginner's canyon with all bolted rapps, nothing crazy, and one really cool waterfall, Thalehaha Falls.

Pics:

Thalehaha Falls

Drop in anchor, since it's really loose. We did not rapp off this, but we did rapp off the second one on an Oak.

Thalehaha Falls

Cell service!

Some other falls

Bazinga

w00t

Rescued!

Link: http://www.summitpost.org/rubio-canyon-3b-ii/740270

Wahoo.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Nice! :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Rubio is cool even for non-canyoneering types. Nice pictures.

Here's that anchor in January 2010...

Thalehahahaha falls January 2010...
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Bye Rubio, it was nice knowing ya....good luck with the graffiti artists, trashers and others.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

AW wrote: Bye Rubio, it was nice knowing ya....good luck with the graffiti artists, trashers and others.
Nah, there's no good cliff jumping there, so it ought to be safe.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

There's nothing new here, right?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: There's nothing new here, right?
Not that I know of, but its too close to the road to not end up a dump. I can say that each time Ive gone there its been gradually worse and worse. When I went with you, call me super sensitive, but I noticed a lot of extra travel indications...and all of the access limiters have been opened to make it simple.

Echo mountain has seen a heck of a lot of graffiti....and yeah, its just a matter of time. The difference is that Rubio canyon doesnt have the volunteer force to deal with it....I know there are a few guys that maintain the lower elevations, but no one maintains it past Rubio pavillion. The trash gets swept downstream so its no big deal....but the lookout could easily get graffiti...and there will be a way to get there.

I kinda have regrets about hijacking Taco's thread to say a late goodbye...I didnt want to imply that Taco is responsible. The only thing for a minor change is that it is not a beginner's canyon...maybe"educational" canyon like the LSA....a group fresh out of the city and then this happens...

edit: not to say that stuff doesnt happen from more experienced people. The 2nd time I was there, a group was rappeling the falls, only their rope was way short. Ends up the 'leader'(who happened to be from a guiding service :oops: ) thought the rope was longer and had grabbed the wrong rope....hopefully it wouldnt have been a big deal, but not a good way to ride either.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Ah, got it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

She slipped. No near death there. I know the feeling you feel when you see someone do that, someone you care about.

She held on to the rope with her brake hand. Her chances of dying were really minimal, in my opinion. She had her Pirana loaded in "canyon mode" (sport mode to climbers). Even so, she should have enough friction to brake as she did, especially with the extra biner on her leg loop to provide extra friction when in an awkward rappel.

Anyway, sometimes people slip. I've slipped many a time on a slippery rappel, but I follow the basics and I've never been badly hurt, and I'm not dead yet. Just got a few cuts and bruises and some adrenaline.

When I say beginner, I don't mean this should be the first canyon they've ever done. I mean this is an easy canyon. Bringing the wrong rope or slipping on a slippery rappel doesn't mean it's not an easy canyon, just that perhaps they weren't paying attention. That's a personal, not a canyon problem. If they do that wrong, it really doesn't matter where hey go, they'll still be ill-equipped or whatever.

I don't mean to go on a rant, but when I climb solo in the winter, if I fuck up, I will probably die alone. I do my best to not fuck up. Some folks, maybe not, but perhaps we don't all have the same training. Know what I mean?

I didn't see too much trash in the canyon. I carried a few pieces out as always. I do not recall any graffiti, but I wasn't really searching for it.

No disrespect or anything negative intended, AW.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Taco wrote: I mean this is an easy canyon.
Made easy thanks to professional bolting... not easy without. Try it without using the bolts and come back to me....

Its nice to see that Dow Williams changed his Imlay page from 'whats the big deal this is so easy' to a more cautious tale. I still wish he would take out it being his second techincal canyon and it was nothing to worry about.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AW wrote:
Taco wrote: I mean this is an easy canyon.
Made easy thanks to professional bolting... not easy without. Try it without using the bolts and come back to me....

Its nice to see that Dow Williams changed his Imlay page from 'whats the big deal this is so easy' to a more cautious tale. I still wish he would take out it being his second techincal canyon and it was nothing to worry about.
There are bolts in it. If there aren't, it has changed. I can speak for myself in that it would still be easy for me if there weren't bolts.

One has to look at Dow's experience level and compare it to their own. He climbs professionally.