The Past Few Weeks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

So it's been a great summer, had a trip planned to Bridgeport to do Incredible Hulk but it got cancelled the day before due to weather (turns out it was a good call the 395 & Tioga Pass were closed due to mud slides and floods, it was the same weekend that the lady got killed on Half Dome and I heard reports of gnarly hail storms - basically not a good time to go for the Red Diahedral) other than that I've gotten out a bunch getting ideas and inspiration for my new writing gig at Seattle Backpackers Magazine. Here are a few links to the articles I have written:

Mountain Hardwear review
High Sierra Trail Report
Bobcat Adventure
Kayland Boots article

As well as a collection of photos from my recent ascents of Pine, Dawson, Burnham, South Mount Hawkins, Williamson & Winston over the past couple of weeks. Enjoy!

Summit of Pine - It was windy and cold surprising for July!

View going up Pine after tagging Dawson. Wow!!!

Baldy, Harwood & Dawson :D

Ran out of water, did not make it to Wright (plus it was blazing hot!)

View from Pine (just north of the actual summit)

Islip and Hawkins from Williamson

Sweet cloud show at the top!

My buddy Anthony contemplating Pleasant View Ridge - we opted not to do it due to time constraints

For my birthday my wife and I headed up to Guffy Campground on the way there we witnessed a beautiful sunset. Unfortunately we were not the only ones who decided to camp that night (a Tuesday). Some guy from Rancho Cucamonga was up there and he blasted his music the first few hours we were there. Finally I had enough and went and asked him to turn it down. He agreed to turn it down a bit but you could still here it over 200 feet away. He passed out around 2am but left his music on till 7:30am when the batteries died.

Headed up to Burnham and South Mt. Hawkins the other day (Friday) saw one hiker the whole day!

After reaching Burnham and soaking in the views I continued on to South Mt. Hawkins. While hiking along the ridge line I heard this hideous hissing/screeching noise. I froze. At first it sounded like the disc brakes on a mountain bike but it was traveling way to fast. After a few seconds it got even louder, it seriously sounded like a Nazgul (flying monster in Lord of the Rings)! Then suddenly this glider came screaming by, right over my head! It was pretty cool (and I was a bit relieved it was not a Nazgul).

I know it's a bad picture but anyone know what it might be? Bear, Mountain Lion???

Crystal Lake from Hawkins Ridge...

South Mt. Hawkins... My iPhone died at the summit so no more photos. I ran out of water about 3 miles from the car but on the way back I saw 5 deer (and earlier in the day I saw a Bobcat). It was about 13.5 miles round trip. A good solid day.

When I got back to the car I was pretty thirsty and so I was pretty surprised to see this creek still flowing so late in the season (at the 70 mile marker between Dawson Saddle and Vincent Flats). I got out my water purifier and refilled. It tasted so good!!!

The sunset and moonrise on the way down was phenomenal!

Sunset over Baden Powell! Gorgeous :P
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Great pics. Beautiful. Thanks!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice shots. Red Dihedral eh? Very cool. Good luck when you can go!