20110811 Baldy with Buddies

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

My buddy John (terrifyinghorsemask) and his buddy DeMarco and I hiked up to the hut. John just got some Vibram Five Fingers KSO's in ninja tacticool camo and he wanted to get some use out of them. This was one of those spur of the moment trips.

One of the three snakes encountered on the trail today

New bench at the hut

John with his Viking loud noise horn

John and DeMarco hiked down the trail while I took San Antonio Canyon down from the Hut, a first for me.

Real pretty up here

First anchor. It's reaching the end of its service life. Go green, the others are now just a backup.

Badabing badaboom. About 70ft? I'm horrible with estimating these things.

Some downclimbs

I slid down to the right of the logs.

John and DeMarco from the top of the big falls. Normally I take pics from where they are of people where I am. The circle is complete.

Going down the wedge!

Someone gone done tookded the super bright webbing off the last rappel! No worries, there are two stations, one wet and one dry.

Aaaaaand there's the webbing, way up high for some odd reason.

I started the canyon at 1615 and made it to the first rappel that everyone does (2nd in the canyon... understand?) at 1730. I made it off the last rapp at 1800 for 30 minutes in the technical section of the canyon, 16 minutes faster than the previous fastest time Johnny and I did a while ago.

Good times
everyday

Post by everyday »

Cool pics :D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

At first glance, I thought the Viking horn was a bong. :D

Nice pictures. Thanks!
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

RichardK wrote: At first glance, I thought the Viking horn was a bong. :D

Nice pictures. Thanks!
:lol: :lol: Well, by the looks of the pictures, there was plenty of clean water for refilling it

Or that horn looks like it coulda been a snake charming device too :x

Taco, going down that rocky ravine, and after seeing those snakes, does that kind of thing ever make you nervous? Sure there was water running down the middle of it but it sorta looked like another snake pit :shock:

Cool TR...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's substantially cooler in the canyon, so I do not think rattlesnakes would be out. I stayed in the water most of the time anyway. I've seen countless snakes throughout my life, and I've never had a problem with them, so I'm not worried.

Cheers all