Botany ID Guide

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

So a few months ago Cougarmagic posted an excerpt from Willard Clute's books. It inspired me to create a very rough guide. I normally hike with my iPhone (because of the GPS app and camera) so now I can have a botany guide book of sorts too. Here is a link to the PDF where you can download it https://files.me.com/isaacmtait/do05th the password is: sgmdf
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

A++++!! That's fantastic!! Thanks for putting it together. How great to have a nice compact guide, of just the main plants, and not have to dig through a huge book to figure something out. I'm bad at botany anyway, but this should get me to remember some names finally.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

cool deal....

From the book :"Lilium Humboltii but the full glory of this magnificent lily is only to be found at higher elevations and
especially where it is more unusual for excursionists to come. The reason for this is obvious. It grows in loose rich soil, never in bogs or wet places...."

elevation 1800s :D
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

I've been looking for something like this for a while now and this is awesome!
Thank you very much :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice!

The common names he uses are a little different than some in use today, although many are still used even if not the "standard" common name.

HJ

Nomenclature
Clute / Modern
Broad Leafed Maple / Big Leaf Maple
Big Cone Pine / Coulter Pine (Big Cone Pine is acceptable though less used)
Big Cone Spruce / Big Cone Douglas Fir (Big Cone Spruce is acceptable)
Canyon Oak / Canyon Live Oak (Canyon Oak is acceptable though less used)
Laurel Bay / California Bay Laurel (although there are many common names Laurel Bay is not typically one of them although it would be obvious what he meant)