Hike in Forest Falls 7-2

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Went for a hike in Forest Falls, my old stomping grounds on Saturday with my sister. It is a hike I discovered when I was a wee las (12 or so) and it is mostly cross country.

You start going up a rugged gully

Lots of big trees on the way

and stellar views

Galena Peak through the trees

On our way up to an unnamed peak at just over 8,400 feet

Flowers are still incredible and so was the water. I lived in Forest Falls since '91 and I have never seen the springs running so late in the season.

Coyote?

The rope came in handy a bit latter

Wow!!

The first of two rappels

The 3rd falls, we down climbed on the left, the 2nd one required a swim so we have no photos as the camera was in the dry bag

It was a gorgeous decent

My little Sis, Abigail swearing never to hiking again with her crazy big brother!

It was a long day, about 7 hours and about 6 miles of which 80% was cross country and canyoneering.

Oh yeah and our water purifier broke so we ran out of water about 2 hours from the end. Thankfully we ran into a family playing in the creek below Big Falls and they hooked us up with two Cherry Cokes!!

I belayed my sister in a few spots and lowered her down the final down climb into the valley. Classic bowline on a bite and hip belays! Got a nice rope burn on my neck from the "classical rappel" down the second falls too. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's really cool. It looks like a perfect hike with a little ropework here and there, some views, some steep stuff, and you got to bug your sis! ;-)

Nice Dulfersitz rappel. Those can get uncomfortable. :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's pretty darn cool. Nice pictures...thanks for posting. There's a mandatory rule...you must post pictures of rope burn...Courgarmagic has a thread in "The Pub" :lol:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

That looks like a very fun day and the pictures are assume, thanks for posting :D .
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

OUCH! :-(
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

@Taco - Yes it does not feel so hot right now and the Horse Flys in the canyon were loving it!

Also I could not remember the name of the rappel when I wrote the TR. (Dulfersitz rappel) Thanks for posting that!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Thanks for the pics, what a beautiful run that was. Waterfalls = the best. I need to get up that way pretty soon.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Nice battle wound - that's reason enough for me to always carry some webbing and a carabiner!

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

@Burchey - If you do make sure you bring bug spray, the bugs in that canyon were off the hook. Tens of thousands of them :evil:
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

@davantalus - That isn't a bad idea. I brought the rope because I was planning on belaying my sister so she could look off the edge of Big Falls but by the time we got there we were to tired and dehydrated.