What is this

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

On my long drive home using the 2 I saw a bunch of this plant in the burn area, what is it?

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Looks a whole lot like Turricula parryi, the infamous Poodle Dog bush.
Zach

Post by Zach »

it stings!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Aarf! Aarf! Woof!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Do not apply to the face or genital region.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Taco wrote: Do not apply to the face or genital region.
now you tell me... :oops:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I know right?! I wish someone had warned me. They told me the Ancient Chinese used it over 100 years ago.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Best just to avoid anything Poodle; damned Nazi dogs!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I bet if you got that on your nether regions, you would be scratching like a poodle in a meth lab.

That plant is all over the burn area. I actually grabbed some when I was geocaching on a hill and started to slide. I have a bit of a tender area behind one knee area but that might be from heat.

Are poodles really nazi dogs? so many reasons why they lost the war. :lol: Stick to beer and let the big boys do everything else.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

After doing some more reading on this awesome plant, it takes about 48 hours for it to show, and it can last up to a month. I have some new spots on the back of my hand and leg. Yippy! Its the itchy and scratchy show! :shock:
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Oh yeah now its on my left eye lid!!! BRING IT POODLE BUSH!!!! I suggest that everyone go out and roll around in this stuff, it is awesome!!!!!!

Oh I climbed Whitney,oh I climbed Everest, oh I hike naked and pass out stickers, its nothing compared to this!!!!! My face is starting to look like Rocky Dennis.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice. Very nice. Gotta laugh at your comments though :D
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

I got some of that stuff on me 2 weeks ago and have since become CVS' best customer for extra-strength cortisone. :evil:
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

spotfin wrote: I got some of that stuff on me 2 weeks ago and have since become CVS' best customer for extra-strength cortisone. :evil:
2 weeks :evil: I was reading it could last a month. Did it keep spreading to different parts? I woke up today like I said with it on my eye lid, my right bicep has a small spot, and different areas on my leg. Did your co workers make fun of you? Im telling you if this was the post office I would go postal on these clowns making fun of me. Oh wait Im there boss, hmmm payback. Maybe Ill rub my eye on them! Now who's laughing. :twisted:
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

ok because I like kicking a dead horse, here are some pics! I just realized how damn ugly I am. I need to be nicer to my wife.

The pic doesn't do it justice, it looks like hell in person.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Hell yeah!!!!

Ill say it for you, your an ugly sumbitch!
im talking to myself ;)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This reminds me. I think we need a gross-out thread of trail injuries and PO rashes. I have some lovely pics. Should I start it?

(By the way - Poodle Dog to the eyes has to be some kind of world record....)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

cougarmagic wrote: This reminds me. I think we need a gross-out thread of trail injuries and PO rashes. I have some lovely pics. Should I start it?

(By the way - Poodle Dog to the eyes has to be some kind of world record....)
YES!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The Poodle Dog Incident!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

todays update...

Really its getting a little better. I think what happened is I touched either my boots, or something in the car that had some oil still on it and then rubbed my eyes and touched different parts on my legs and arms. I think thats why more came out 6 days later. I also think a little agent orange should take care of the poodle bush. If your are asked if you want three swift kicks to your man purse or poodle bush rubbed on you, you really might want to think hard about the kicks. :lol:
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Finally had the chance to drive up the newly re-opened 2 on Saturday... Couldn't believe how much of this stuff is up there! It is literally covering entire hillsides ALL throughout the burn area. In fact, it's tough to find areas that haven't been taken over by it.

I was excited about how many trails have been opened back up, but after seeing the amount of this crap everywhere I think I'll stick to the eastern SGs for a while...

And the scariest part is, almost nobody even knows what this stuff looks like! :shock:

To be honest, it wouldn't be a bad idea to sticky this thread with a new title in the main forum.

obie

Post by obie »

Is this poodle dog? It's popping up around the Back Bay. Leaves have sharp, spiny edges and, after falling in a bunch, my leg was itchy for 1/2 day.

davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Obie, Sounds more like some variety of datura, that white trumpet vine with lots of tiny needles.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Yeah, those leaves don't look like Poodle Dog Bush, Obie. Plus, it would have bugged for a lot more than just half a day. :x

This page has some better shots and a good description of it:

http://www.photographyontherun.com/Afte ... gBush.aspx
obie

Post by obie »

Well, you guys are probably right.

Not much of a crash story now w/o the poo dog ripping flesh and leaving me inflamed and possibly scarred for life. Better luck next time.