Lost Creek and SA Falls with 'everyday'

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Torrey ('everyday' on these forums) and I went canyoneering in Icehouse Canyon, descending a canyon I'd gone down a year or two ago. When I first did it, CMC-OC and I downclimbed the first two stages of the rappel, and then bypassed the vertical third stage. This time, we rapped the whole thing. It's a really nice, very quiet canyon. Great for her first canyon and first time rappelling!

The next day, we headed out to San Antonio Falls and she got to experience wet canyoneering for the first time. She had a blast. Her attitude is in the right place. :-)

Lost Creek: http://www.summitpost.org/lost-creek-3aii/727311

Pics:
The bottom of the canyon. The rappel goes from behind that fin of rock on the left, and ends on the ground on the right or something. You know what I mean.

Kellys Camp spring is flowing! This spring is at the top of Lost Creek. Go down the canyon and well... duh.

Torrey in the canyon

Telegraph Peak looking nice as always

Torrey rappeling down for the first time in her life.

Some pics showing down. I can't tell too well because the Photobucket thumbnails are, well, thumbnail sized. My yellow rope bag is in the pic.

Tried using a link as a belay device. It's difficult. It may not be screwed shut in the photo, but believe me... it ain't coming undone. (I'm sure some dork will post this on SuperTopo or something... go for it, I'll post a pic of my butthole or something. Get a life, tossers.) I used one of them fancy 30 kilonewton rings as a belay device once to see how it would work in a pinch. It gave more friction than a link, but since there's no keeper cable, you run the very easy risk of watching it go way up the rope away from your belay biner and then you get to go really fast! The link was pretty easy to control, but without gloves it was uncomfortable.

3rd stage down.

SAF:

First rapp!

#2, her fave. ;-) Other strand is pull strand.

The big one! Going off the anchor on the island.

Fixing up the 2nd to last rapp. Swim trunks and no shirt = comfortable. Humid day.

HIKEUP!!! This is at Adam's store/cafe at Crystal Lake.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Great pictures Mr. Taco!
Zach

Post by Zach »

Awesome! Great to see you guys had fun. Hopefully I'll get to go out with you guys some time soon.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Cool! I have looked at that "canyon" every single time I've hiked up there. San Antonio is great too - haven't been there in a while. Thanks for the pics.
everyday

Post by everyday »

omg! that was so FUN! my favorite part was when I ended up in a really bad position about 1/3 of the way down the last (or next to last?? whatever) rappell, and had to recall everything Taco had told me and then figure out how to get myself back on track. befor I could do that i had to make myself not panic, lol. I liked the problem solving part of it, and that im alone up there 'n have to figure it out myself. when i didnt swing the wrong way n smash myself into the rocks I was really proud of myself, ha! it was awesome. the easier parts were nice too, lotsa fun. Thanx a ton Ryan, i had a supergreattime!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:-)

CM, I like your new avatar. :lol:
obie

Post by obie »

I know nothing but, canyoneering looks like one hella rush and an elite sport.

Sheesh, I blew a line today and fell into some poodle dog. And here I am scratching my leg and telling Country Girl how I 'lived' through it....then, after looking at these shots, I feel like a complete wonk.

Very cool stuff, thanks folks!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Blew a line?

It's not a difficult sport. You don't need much more than a positive attitude, harness, a couple locking biners and a belay device to get started.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

That mallion biner brake is quite "elite" :P
Two or more biners for the brake are ideal in a pinch,or even better a munter hitch if you are scarce on biners.
Did you use that setup because you gave everyday your reverso?

Nice pics for a for a very nice day :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yup! I got all confuzzled with the biner brake. Used a biner brake a trip or two ago but someone was scrambling my brain signals so I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I used a Munter for a bit but wanted less friction so I went with the rusty link. :-)
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Taco wrote: Image
Tried using a link as a belay device. It's difficult. It may not be screwed shut in the photo, but believe me... it ain't coming undone.
That looks bomber to me! :D Maybe squirt her with a little WD40 before the next trip, tho.

Good work, Torrey y Taco--looks like you guys had a fun day!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Good job Torrey on your first wet rap!!

Looks like so much fun!!!!!!! 8) one of these days....

thanks for sharing the pics Taco
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dave, I actually soaked it in WD40 for a bit and scrubbed it off. Really really cleaned out the threads to get all the chocolate milk outta there. :-) It's gonna stay on my wall for now.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Taco wrote: HIKEUP!!! This is at Adam's store/cafe at Crystal Lake.
That's funny as hell Taco. Thanks for posting it :D

Cool trip you two had, btw!!! Well done.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks like a nice trip. Wet rap on humid day = very nice. :)
Taco wrote: Image
HIKEUP!!! This is at Adam's store/cafe at Crystal Lake.
What? They have whole posts in their scrap book? :lol:

HJ