TR: MF Lytle Creek, Commanche, Kelly Camp, Bighorn, 2 Tee's

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
jfr

Post by jfr »

I don't get up into the San Gabriels very often, so I post very rarely. Just the same, I've been reading pretty much everything on the forum for the last year or two, mostly hoping to find some good spots for backpacking, and also to learn about conditions, gear, etc. Reading fun trip reports is an added bonus. Thanks much to all the regular posters from an inveterate lurker!

Miscellaneous current conditions:

The dirt road (2N58) to the Middle Fork Lytle Creek trailhead was in fairly decent shape - we made it there in our old Saturn, so no four wheeling needed. Just drive slow on the bumpy parts. (It should also be noted that we've driven that old car all over the A-B Desert, so YMMV.) Still, it wasn't as bad as the road to the Fish Creek Trailhead on San Gorgonio, which we had no problems with last year.

Also, no one has shot up the new sign since Cougarmagic's post last October.
Too bad the new sign is wrong: Commanche Camp is at 6100 feet, not 6400.
Anyway, thanks CM - your post helped give me the idea for where to hike this trip.

BTW, the plastic register can on Bighorn Peak has a crack in the lid, a hole in the plastic jug, and the register notepad is full. There's only one "live" sticker left. I was really hoping to get a plain generic eispiraten sticker this trip, but now I'm going to have to PM Simonov. You know, I've searched this entire forum and I still have no idea what "Big Ass Ham" is all about...

The Telegraph Peak register is also full. I'd like to add that whoever made the Telegraph Peak stainless steel register box (and very-much-permanently-attached beer opener!) and then bolted/chained it to the summit block deserves some major applause. Nice work! Truly a peak register to be proud of.

Also, major thanks to the rebuilders of the spring at Kelly Camp. It's flowing great, and when I saw the picture of the new pipe in a recent thread, I had no idea that it was actually a 1 1/2" PVC pipe - that sucker's huge! Excellent! Let's hope the PVC can handle freezing each winter like the old rusty galvanized pipe did...

As for bugs, the gnats were only annoying some of the time, and they seemed to be both temperature and wind dependent. The breeze was a true sanity-saver. My wife got a couple of chunks bitten out of her bare legs by some huge horseflies, and there were one or two mosquitos near the water in the shady areas. The bugs should be dying off soon, as the forest dries up. My wife's custom anti-gnat hat:

Anyway, since I posted this in the Trip Reports area and not in the News and Current Conditions subforum, here we go:

Short Trip Report: My wife and I did a four-day three-night backpack from the Middle Fork Lytle Creek Trailhead, staying the first night at Commanche Camp, followed by two nights at Kelly Camp. On our layover day we day-hiked the Three Tee's Trail, but only did two of them. On the final day, hiking out, we bushwhacked (foolishly) down into Stonehouse Crossing from upstream, and managed to have an off-trail adventure without getting lost or contaminated with poison oak. Conclusion: An excellent time was had in the mountains last weekend.

Ultra-super-overly-long Trip Report and way too many photos/videos can be found on my Flickr Page
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great Trip Report, glad you ventured over from the usual San J side of things, great pictures as well, glad you enjoyed yourself.

Big Ass Ham came from Taco who picked it up from David Letterman, who gives away silly prizes to the studio audience.

From an article on line at http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?en ... atenightwi
This "regular guy" excels at impromptu delivery and the ability to work with his audience. He often hands out "gifts and prizes" such as light bulbs, motor oil, and most notably, his trademark brand "Big Ass Ham". He has been known to send his stand-by audience to Broadway shows when they were not admitted to his taping. Letterman's relationship with his studio and viewing audiences does not always translate to his treatment of his guests, however.
You're not the only one who had to ask :shock: :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very nice!

They had to go and put the damn bottle opener OVER the sticker? I'm gonna go remove the damn sticker, clean it up, and put a new one on there. Damn kids!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dude! Huge thanks for the update on the road conditions to the TH. Sounds like a nice trip, thanks for sharing.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

What a beautiful trip! It's great to find all that solitude and quiet. The photos are really nice. What are the "luminance" pics (how do you do that)?
simonov

Post by simonov »

jfr wrote: Also, major thanks to the rebuilders of the spring at Kelly Camp. It's flowing great, and when I saw the picture of the new pipe in a recent thread, I had no idea that it was actually a 1 1/2" PVC pipe - that sucker's huge! Excellent! Let's hope the PVC can handle freezing each winter like the old rusty galvanized pipe did...
Aye. Ingrid and I were up there this weekend and the spring is flowing at two liters a minute. Kelly's was my favorite campsite in the San Gabes until the spring box broke; then it wasn't as fun anymore. Now it's my favorite again.

BTW, we never bother with filters and the like for springs coming right out of the ground. Especially at Columbine Spring, where the water is really delicious.
jfr wrote: As for bugs, the gnats were only annoying some of the time, and they seemed to be both temperature and wind dependent. The breeze was a true sanity-saver. My wife got a couple of chunks bitten out of her bare legs by some huge horseflies, and there were one or two mosquitos near the water in the shady areas. The bugs should be dying off soon, as the forest dries up.
The bugs at Kelly's this weekend were incredible. I've never seen so many in the San Gabes. I don't get bit very often by mosquitoes, but the gnats were so annoying I resolved to forgo overnight backpacking from now on in June and early July.

Life is too short to put up with annoying bugs!
Nunc est bibendum
jfr

Post by jfr »

Lilbitmo: Thanks for explanation on Big Ass Ham. Searching the forum for ass and ham was an experience, but not a very rewarding one... :lol:

Taco: Yes, I didn't like the sticker being covered up, but you have to admit that the sticker is now very permanently attached! Those are huge rivets, too, and a heavy pack of tools was schlepped all the way up there just to install it. I'm assuming that it was to save on weight in the long term, when carrying heavy glass beer bottles for celebratory summit parties. :? The opener on Ontario's dead tree is one of the funniest I've ever seen, and the one on Timber is also well-placed:
What other local mountains have these babies installed? It sounds like a good reason to get hiking!

CM: The Luminance pics are HDR (High Dynamic Range) pictures, where Luminance is the name of the photo software that helps make them. There are lots of different software packages out there for doing HDR, and Luminance just happens to be free (open source) - it used to be called qtpfsgui but the authors wisely changed it when version 2.0 came out as that ugly name will never sell even a free software product! Anyway, the most important part of doing an HDR picture is taking the three (or more) bracketed exposures using a digital SLR camera. My camera has a setting for it - I aim the camera, hold down the shutter, and click click click it takes three shots. One shot is normally exposed, one is underexposed (to bring out the brighter areas like the sky or sunlit rocks) and the last is overexposed (to bring out the darker areas like shadows from trees). The software tries to make one picture that shows everything, but it doesn't always work, sometimes it gets way overdone, and other times the effect can look kind of cool. You can spend all your time messing with it if you're not careful, and then you'll never get out and hike. You can get it here: http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

Simonov: I agree with you on not filtering perfectly good spring water: What's the point? But my wife enjoys the mindlessness of pumping water, sitting next to a stream or spring after a long hike, so I don't argue. Either way, I still get some nice cool water to drink.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Comanche is my favorite official trail camp in the San Gabs bar none (although there are some abandoned ones that rank right up there).

For one thing, it's hard enough to get to that you don't see this:

It's not as bad as it used to be, but you do have to cross this:
It used to be a lot worse! Keeps the riff-raff out. :)

I see you guys picked the best spot:

Great photos, guys, of the entire hike.

HJ