Windy Gap

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hiked from Islip Saddle up to Little Jimmy Trail Camp along the PCT yesterday. Along this portion of the trail there are still large sections of snow/ice but I was eaisly able to cross them in regular hiking boots and with the use of treking poles. Little Jimmy trail camp still has large patches of snow all around it. From Little Jimmy I hiked up to Windy gap. My original plan was to take the Islip ridge trail up to Mount Islip but insted I decided to head down to the Crystal Lake basin. I guess my curiousity got the best of me :wink: , I wanted to see what the area looked like down there after the fire. I know the area is off limits but before I went down I looked for a sign officially saying it was closed and there isnt one :? so I decided to just go. Along the Windy gap trail there are several tree's down and there are also lots of rocks along the trail but for the most part it is easy to follow. I made it to the Deer Flats Group Campground and then my girlfriend started telling me she was tired, so I decided to turn around. This sucked :evil: because we hiked all the way down there and didn't even see the lake. Oh well, there's always next time. Hiked back up to windy gap and then down to Little Jimmy Spring (water flow was excellent). From there took a short break then walked back to Islip Saddle. Overall.............just another beautiful day in the San Gabriel Mountians.
Sorry, I forgot to charge the battery on my camera so I couldn't get any pictures!!!!!!!