Little Jimmy on the 4th?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

We were thinking about camping at Little Jimmy this weekend because it's going to be so ridiculously hot, but I've never camped there and I'm curious -- for a holiday weekend like this, is it possible it'll fill up and we should get there early? Cause I'd really like to roll in at like sunset.

Thanks for any help!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dunno if it'll fill or not. It is super popular with Boy Scout troops.

Most of the camp sites are around point "A" on this map, but there are more camp sites around point "B." There are also good camp sites near by at points "C" and "D," but there is no water nearby at points "C" and "D".

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

So helpful as always!!! Good to have a backup plan.

We'll be carrying all our water anyway for both training purposes and because I lent someone else my water filter for the week before I decided to do this :)

Thanks so much!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

I would bet it will be full. It's been very busy the last month or so on weekends. Remember, you can camp outside of the campground, but you just can't have a campfire. (stove is OK with a permit).
everyday

Post by everyday »

Im sure youve probably already said...but where do you live that its to hot to hike? I lived in Palm Springs the last few years, and even in summer, as long as I was out for my run by 5 or 6 am, and home by 10 or 11am it was no prob. didnt get over 100 usually til noon. I have been out too long sometimes and it was 103-105 n that got a lil hard, but still do-able with a hat 'n enough water.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: Im sure youve probably already said...but where do you live that its to hot to hike? I lived in Palm Springs the last few years, and even in summer, as long as I was out for my run by 5 or 6 am, and home by 10 or 11am it was no prob. didnt get over 100 usually til noon. I have been out too long sometimes and it was 103-105 n that got a lil hard, but still do-able with a hat 'n enough water.
What everyday doesn't mention is that she's bionic and has asbestos skin. :wink:

HJ
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

ahaha That was my very first backpack as a 12 year old boy scout. Goood times.
VermillionPearlGirl

lol Jim :) Clearly everyday missed the thread where I complain for post after post about heat. But yeah everyday, I just really don't deal well with heat at all. Over 80 is out of the question, over 70 is still questionable. I'm just exceedingly sensitive to temperature. And a big complainer :)

Thanks for the info mtnman! That's a good point too. We're not going to have a campfire (we're not even really planning to cook, it's a pretty bare bones adventure), so if it's full we'll just keep going till we find a good place to stop.
VermillionPearlGirl

All was well in Little Jimmy! We we got up there around sunset and there was only one small group there (Boy scouts!) and we went to bed right after sundown so we could get hiking really early, but two groups came in after sundown (one of them noisy!) which sort of ruined that. The Boy Scouts came from Vincent Gap, the other two groups from Crystal Lake (we were the only wimps coming up from Islip Saddle ). All in all not bad. Thanks for the help!!
everyday

Post by everyday »

Hikin_Jim wrote: What everyday doesn't mention is that she's bionic and has asbestos skin. :wink:

HJ
not uh, i have nice, soft skin not asspestoes :D