San Gabriel Peak & Mt. Disappointment: 06-19-2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to San Gabriel Peak and Mt. Disappointment this morning. Nice cool morning with a breeze on top meant no bugs. On the way down it warmed up enough for the bugs to come out in force so I abandoned plans to bag other nearby peaks.

Parked at the start of the road to Mt. Disappointment (2N25) which is about 1/3 mile south of Red Box on the road to Mt. Wilson. Trail 12W24 starts here and switchbacks up to the saddle between San Gabriel and Disappointment. This trail is in near perfect condition right now. From the saddle (lots of old concrete foundations from a Nike site I think?), the trail up to San Gabriel peak is in poor condition and is overgrown with poodledog - joy!

Thanks to the station fire, there is an unobstructed 360 degree view of the San Gabriel Mtns. Used to be obstructed by tall brush. Steel bench is still there as well as the bench mark.

Took road 2N25 all the way back to car because my knee was bitching about steep downhill stuff. Met 2 guys on the peak who had started at Eaton Saddle. They said crossing the slide west of Mueller Tunnel was fairly easy with nothing serious in the way of exposure.

Pics.

View from San Gabriel Peak...

Poodledog gauntlet...
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Very nice! Love how the high elevation makes the marine layer look like a impatient lake. There were also multiple gauntlets of Poodle Dogs on the path up Mt. Lowe, too. Where are the dog catchers when you need them?
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

good tr as always, hu...thanks for posting!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I wasn't wearing long pants so it must have been rather odd to watch as I weaved and bobbed my way through the Poodle Dog. I don't show any signs of irritation so far (it's been 24 hours). I must be immune or lucky or something - I've never had poison oak either.