Sunset & Thunder

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
obie

Post by obie »

Fearless Flyer and I busted out a couple of good climbs Sunday. We ended up with about 35 miles and 6000' climbing. We were riding light & at a good clip, so not much in the way of pics. FF is an ace DH'er and blew me away on some the descents - particularly the rock garden that is the Sunset Peak use trail. I was experimenting with more tire pressure (42 PSI) and picked some decent lines following him down. Tho, it is a bit nervy at first pinging off rocks rather than bulldozing over them like I do usually at 20 PSI. Good part of high pressure is no pinch flats so I can live with lively handling - for now.

The ride amped up for me when we got to the climb from Village to Thunder. 29'ers kick it hard on climbs like this and with the added pressure the bike was just rolling fast - as quick as I've ever done the climb to Notch City. FF hadn't been up in altitude for awhile and got a bit gassed and cold up top. No worries, we warmed up in the Lodge and got it done. By the time we got back from Thunder (always a busting climb - talk about scree piles) we looked down Baldy Rd. to Stockton Flats, then up at the dark clouds, then the air temp (40) and bagged that idea and blew down the hill. FF flatted right above SA Falls for the only carnage of the day but, saved it and we got off easy today with little blood lettin and a ton of fun. Baldy kicks ass for climbing...love that ride.

Fearless
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sweet! Which use trail for Sunset, the fire road or the long north ridge?
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: Sweet! Which use trail for Sunset, the fire road or the long north ridge?
It's that trail that starts right on GRR at Cow Canyon Saddle. A LOT more interesting than 2N07.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, that it is. I didn't MTB when I hiked that route years ago. Is it pretty sketchy/fun?
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

leave it to you to put sketchy and fun as the same word Ryan.
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: Yeah, that it is. I didn't MTB when I hiked that route years ago. Is it pretty sketchy/fun?
It's fun/flowy. Just one down tree. No sweat.