Supercloud Canyon 5/22/11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

"Supercloud" is an un-named (on maps) canyon that drains off the northern slope of Mt. Disappointment, near Red Box. It got the nickname after Chris Brennen descended nearby Cloudburst canyon, found it disappointingly lacking in rappels, then discovered its smaller side canyon was much more super.

http://www.dankat.com/advents/sprcld.htm

Chris joined us today for a beautiful day in this recently opened area. None of us had been in the canyon for over two and a half years.

Several things protected this canyon from the fire - suppression efforts on Mt Wilson, its north-facing orientation, and the rocky slopes with sparse vegetation all conspired to preserve this one just as we had left it.

On the hike up, we could see the line of fire:

After hiking the paved road for about 45 minutes, we recognized the turn off onto a very old dirt road, which is now a bit overgrown.

Large bear tracks made us happy (tiny baby bear tracks nearby made us happier!)

The drop in trail is easy to miss if you don't know what to look for. Fortunately (?) the old dirt road dead ends in a cliff here, so that is a big clue.

As the canyon narrows, there is a large area of dark gray, almost black, rock. Any geologists care to explain? Close up, it is sparkly, like granite, but is very crumbly.

Rap #1 is a beaut:

Small rappels and downclimbs follow for a bit

The views open and we gaze upon Strawberry peak while listening to motorcycles whiz by in the distance.

Fire touched parts of the canyon here and there. Miner's Lettuce grew in the new sunshine, and turned pink as it dried out.

I have a love/hate relationship with the last rappel. It's high, and beautiful, but I always get beaned with rocks here. Took a grapefruit sized one right in the chest this time when I moved to the side for better footing and the rope dislodged a pile of stuff above me.

I like to be helpful with rope pulling, but this time I said "screw this cliff" and went off to eat string cheese where nothing would fall on me, while Bernd and Keith cleaned up.

Toward the bottom, fire damage was obvious and severe.

The hike out of the canyon is now full of loose rocks to scramble over. We all stumbled a bit.

To get back to your car, you now need to run the Poodle Dog Gauntlet. This was the scariest part of the day.

We were not the first group down since the fire - there was "new" (not brand new...) webbing at all the stations. All bolts and anchors are still good. Not much changed in this nice short canyon - it was our canyon that time forgot, and felt like an old friend.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:-)

I hope to do this one soon. :-)
norma r

Post by norma r »

Very cool CM. It's always nice to spend time with an old friend. 8)

Like the baby bear track sighting. Dislike the grapefruit missile and the Poodle-dog. :evil:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

You canyoneered with Chris Brennan? How awesome is that?

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hikin_Jim wrote: You canyoneered with Chris Brennan? How awesome is that?
Exactly what I was thinking.
norma r

Post by norma r »

davantalus wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: You canyoneered with Chris Brennan? How awesome is that?
Exactly what I was thinking.
me three.
turtle

Post by turtle »

cougarmagic wrote: "Supercloud" is an un-named (on maps) canyon that drains off the northern slope of Mt. Disappointment, near Red Box. It got the nickname after Chris Brennen descended nearby Cloudburst canyon, found it disappointingly lacking in rappels, then discovered its smaller side canyon was much more super.
Thanks for the trip report CM!

As I recall, we'd actually named it before we'd descended it. While working through the tedium of Cloudburst, we kept looking longingly over and up at the other, unnamed canyon (that looked much more tasty). In the days and weeks that followed, we kept saying "We need to get back to that canyon above Cloudburst!" We took to calling it Supercloud. So it's super as in superscript. Higher, above, superior. Only later did we confirm that it was super as in "superb". So it stuck.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

love it. endless possibilities over in that area. thanks for fueling my love for that region.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Did this canyon with Rick Kent a few years ago. I believe this was my first canyon......they day before Eaton Canyon...brrr.

Nice pictures!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

turtle wrote: we kept looking longingly over and up at the other, unnamed canyon (that looked much more tasty). In the days and weeks that followed, we kept saying "We need to get back to that canyon above Cloudburst!" We took to calling it Supercloud.
I love it!

And in fact, as we hiked up the road, Chris and Bernd kept looking longingly at the canyon west of Supercloud, and imagining that one would be even better. haha - it's a disease....
turtle

Post by turtle »

cougarmagic wrote: And in fact, as we hiked up the road, Chris and Bernd kept looking longingly at the canyon west of Supercloud, and imagining that one would be even better.
It's not better! (Checked it out with Chris and Keith this morning.) Zero raps, endless rotten rock and scree. Abundant groves of our favorite post-fire plant.

Working title was Hypercloud, but that hardly seems apt. Death by Poodle is more like it. :evil:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

turtle wrote: It's not better!
Aw! I would have liked to be jealous of your trip today.

Ok, well since it is a drainage of Mt Disappointment, how about Disappointment Canyon then? :(

My dog has been asleep since noon, so it worked out well for me!
turtle

Post by turtle »

cougarmagic wrote: Ok, well since it is a drainage of Mt Disappointment, how about Disappointment Canyon then?
Turns out that name's already taken for a canyon even closer to the peak. It doesn't appear on Chris's website, as it too was underwhelming. I expect this one may remain a "Hidden Classic" as well...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

turtle wrote: Abundant groves of our favorite post-fire plant.
Gary had some issues with poodle-dog. Ouch.