20101128 Caves of the Mojave

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Not very San Gabriels - but I threw together this little video and wanted to share.

Over Thanksgiving weekend a buddy and I visited some caves in the Mojave desert with members of the Southern California Grotto. We had an amazing trip trying to both get dirty but keep the cameras clean. The first cave in the video really demonstrates how people thoughtlessly destroy these beautiful underground places.

Link because I can never remember the embed code.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ossTJb25HRA

Enjoy!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool stuff!

HJ

P.S. Nice eispiraten sticker.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

That is a great video, well done.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Nice eispiraten sticker.
"Neis piraten?" ;) Hey what do I have to do to get a few of those UK ones. I'm a dual citizen us/uk. Also need one for the new EIS axe! Next season I'm so in.
Hahaha! Give me another year or so then those guys are going -down-.
hvydrt wrote: That is a great video, well done.
Thanks. :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Excuse the claustrophobic noob question, but how the heck do you find your way out of those places? Do you leave a trail of bread crumbs?

Also do you check for the air quality? Is a canary one of the 10 essentials?

Really great video editing and all that.

edit: pretty cool that there are registers to sign down in there.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

HikeUp wrote: Excuse the claustrophobic noob question, but how the heck do you find your way out of those places? Do you leave a trail of bread crumbs?
Haha! Well, first it's easier than it looks in the video. Second, if you truly are turned around you can generally detect a "trail" where the rock underfoot is discolored or worn. Of course, if you're in a virgin passage, then you're out of luck and should have probably flagged the route.
HikeUp wrote: Also do you check for the air quality? Is a canary one of the 10 essentials?
Haha! Not as big a problem in caves (here) as it is in mines (here). Some bad air is contributed by wood burning or rotting which makes mines somewhat more likely to be dangerous. Caves, (generally) formed by water will also move decent quantities of air through the same passage.
HikeUp wrote: Really great video editing and all that. Pretty cool that there are registers to sign down in there.
Thanks! In the last cave, there was apparently a register area that you can get into but not out of - in order to sign it you need a buddy to pull you back out. (and if you go into the small passage feet first you can't reach down to grab the register).
Taco

Post by Taco »

VERY COOL VIDEO!