Baden Powell 4/25/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Hike on Friday morning early at 6:45 am. I was the first in the parking lot, and seems like i was the only person on the mountain in the morning. still lots of snow after the 3rd switch-backs. Most of the trail were covered under snow, so I just went straight up the mountain. Nice crusty snow in the morning made travel with crampon comfortable enough. Got to the summit at 10 am.
Here are a couple of pictures I took

[
[
[

It was harder to go down since the snow was getting slushy making it tough to travel. I ended up falling twice but nothing serious.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Newbie mistake on attaching the pictures. Here is another try

Hope this will work
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Nice photos and TR :) , looks like there's still a descent amount of snow on the north facing slopes. What was the temperture like up there........hot? Also, are crampons required right now or could you make it up to the top with just waterproof (snow) hiking boots and a couple of treking poles?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

calicokid wrote:Newbie mistake on attaching the pictures. Here is another try
The url between the img tags is not a photo. Image url's typically end with .jpg. The url for the first photo is http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/244 ... 7ba956.jpg
In Windows, you can get that by right clicking on the image and choosing "copy image location."
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

It wasn't cold on the top. I hiked up just with t-shirt. I had crampon on the way up. It was cold at night to create a thin crust of ice. Few places were hard ice, so I would use crampon and carry ice ax to be safe.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/244 ... pg?v=0[img]
He219

Post by He219 »

Fixed that for you:
It should be written as [ img ]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/244 ... e2d9cc.jpg [/ img]

Nice pix, calicokid.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Thanks AlanK and He219 for showing me how to post pictures.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

On Sunday I was on my way over the Cajon Pass and I saw all the snow up there on that side of the mountains - it just amazed me how much was still there. The snow is so spotty. Over on the western side of the Sierra in Sequoia National Park it is really heavy but on the southeast side of the Sierra it is pretty light - We were up at 13000' on Sunday in the Baxter Pass area and in that area most of the snow had been blown off up high and was melting off fast down low (we were only on steady snow from 9500' to 12000'), but when we looked west we could see tons of snow and when we looked north of the Palisades we could see tons of snow.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hi Calicokid, I am planning on hiking up Baden Powell on Sunday. I was wondering if you happened to notice when you were there if the dirt roads across the street from Vincent Gap were open or were they gated closed. I am just wondering because I plan to hike Baden Powell first and then do some four wheeling on the dirt roads if there open after. If they are closed I would like to take a smaller car to save gas insted of my 4/4 truck. Thanks...........sorry for the unrealeted question..... :oops:
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

brian90620 wrote:Hi Calicokid, I am planning on hiking up Baden Powell on Sunday. I was wondering if you happened to notice when you were there if the dirt roads across the street from Vincent Gap were open or were they gated closed.
I don't recall the gate was open, but I am not 100% sure.

Enjoy the hike.
HN