Got a job

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
everyday

Post by everyday »

OK, so I got laid-off from the oil company I was working for way back in April 2009, along with 400+ other people due to the recession. Since then I've had to leave my home to come live here in Palm Springs at my parents "extra" condo. When I got here, I went back to school for training in the medical field thinking that would practically guarantee me a job. It didn't, I turned in resumes at every hospital from SD to SF and one or 2 interviews, but never hired. Ive also applied to warehouses, stockrooms, hotels, walmart, starbucks, autozone, target, ...well, you get the idea...I wasn't picky anymore because unemployment only pays 277 a week, thank god my parents had a place for me or Ide be at a homeless shelter or couch surfing at friends places...anyways Ive been turning in literally hundreds of resumes over the last year, and then, a few months ago I figured Ide start applying out of state...nevada..arizona, etc AND I got an offer! I got a job FINALLY! I'm so happy! Being unemployed for so long is awful! Ive had a job since I was 15 years old, and have never been unemployed so long. And the worst part of it was when Ide hear people say thing like ..."oh, the long-term unemployed are lazy, or not trying, or enjoying their "free" money....well fuck those people. Ive always paid taxes, Iv always worked, I fucking paid for my unemployment. And I desperately wanted to work, i would of done almost anything for a job. Anyways, Im getting off my subject, All I really wanted to say was I got a JOB and am super crazy happy about it and wanted to let everyone know! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

and oh yeah, my job is working at a hotel at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. And, I dont have to pay rent or utilities, they have housing there for employees that has a small fee of 16 dollars a week, so Its a perfect set-up for me to be able to pay-off past due bills and save up some cash. Its full time, year round, with full benefits too. And I get to live at the Grand Canyon, ha :D

There is a downside though, Im a native californian, and never really been anywhere else, so Im leaving all my family and friends....however, I will be back 2 days every month because i still need to go to my orthodontist apointment out here. And I hope to get to go hiking n climbing with some of you when I come out. I also will keep applying to So-Cal jobs because I want to be in cali if possible. Maybe when the jobs/economy gets better I can get back out here, Im hoping within a year ...or less.. :)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

so what you're saying is, you're inviting us to crash at your place for a R2R2R?? :wink:

congrats
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Congrats! Whenerya gonna start?

HJ
simonov

Post by simonov »

How to find a job, no troll: http://www.badharvest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=918

Resumes make Tree-hugging Jesus cry.
Nunc est bibendum
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

everyday wrote: OK, so I got laid-off from the oil company I was working for way back in April 2009, ... I got a job FINALLY!
I was in a similar boat and know how happy you are now...

Congrats... Things well get better!

Best wishes
Matt
Taco

Post by Taco »

wrote: so what you're saying is, you're inviting us to crash at your place for a R2R2R?? :wink:

congrats
Pretty much. Or for Zoroaster Temple or whatever the hell that cool looking route is called.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Ryan you can come visit me anytime you want to 8)
Ze-i dunno, i dont know you...
Jim- not for another month or so
Taco

Post by Taco »

I dunno, I've got a big rack. :lol:
everyday

Post by everyday »

And Im off to tha big-ass canyon! Ima leave at 6am, hopefully i can hike around tomorrow after orientation. I will post pics if there happens to be anything interesting to see out there! 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool! Stay safe and best of luck!!

HJ