Crystal lake > Baden-Powell >South Mt Hawkins 05-11-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

I wanted to get in an epic 20+ mile day hike before I leave California in the next 2 months or so and I have been wanting to head up to Baden-Powell for some time now.

I decided to do a long day hike and hit all the peaks in between.

It started off pretty easy, heading up the Windy gap trail to windy gap. But then I mistakenly took the Big Cienega trail for about a half mile towards Islip Ridge trail.

I figured I'd just scramble up the bowl till I hit the Windy gap trail a half mile up. Snapped a photo about half way up the hillside:

Took a short break at Windy gap to get all the dirt and debris out of my socks and shoes from climbing that slope instead of taking the real trail up:

For some reason I thought Baden-Powell was 8.9 miles from Windy gap. I must of been thinking of the distance from Islip Saddle. Instead it was only posted as 5.7 miles:

The first shots of lots of snow covering the PCT:

There are a ton of downed tree's waiting to block your path, this is just the first of too many to show:

A shot of the Crystal Lake basin, with the resivoir also visible:

Looking back towards Waterman, Twin peaks, Wilson....ect:

Time for micro spikes:

I spent most of the hike just hugging the ridgelines, since there was so much snow covering the real trail:

Hawkins finally comes into view:

I actually traversed to the right out of frame and avoided the snow:

This sign marks the trail split, south to the Hawkins (middle, sadie, south) east to MT hawkins and beyond, west back to windy gap:

More ridge ascending avoiding the snow patches:

Looking back to Middle hawkins, Sadie hawkins, south hawkins. I'll see you three later in the day:

I decided to just ascend this patch of snow because it looked "cool":

Thank the gods, a use trail up to Hawkins:

Such a disapointing peak, nothing to sign, no markers. I just ploped down under the tree to the left and ate a cliff bar and some rasinettes:

It was at this point I checked my water level. I realized I was already 1.5 litres down and decided to fill up the 1 litre platypus with some fresh snow to melt on the way to baden-powell, as reserve water.

A shot of baldy from Mt Hawkins:

A shot down into the valley below Hawkins:

A panorama atop Hawkins:

More ridge travel in a choose your own adventure sort of way:

At the summit of Throop:

A panorama atop Throop:

There's a trail there:

This sign caught me by suprise:

A shot looking back at the downclimb from Throop:

More snow to avoid, I traversed out of the photo to the right along the ridgeline:

Several peaks visible here:

Downed tree go away fall somewhere else another day:

Scrambling up the slope to Burnham:

On a snow pile atop Burnham, Baden-Powell comes into view:

A panorama atop Burnham:

More ridge line traversing to avoid the snow:

Hurray the PCT takes the southern slope up for a switchback:

Back to snow avoidance manuvers and ridge running:

Looking back at Burnham and Throop:

Baden-Powell I see you!:

No thankyou to snow, I traversed up the right side of the photo on the dirt ridgeline:

The Memorial comes into view:

Baldy and blue ridge:

The Hawkins'is. I'll be seeing you all later:

Desert views:

Looking back:

Hey that looks familiar, I wonder who put that there:

I know that guy:

More ridge travels:

I call this the snow superhighway, I actually just took the ridge dirt route to the left:

Some easy class 3:

Ridgeline again!:

Egads, the PCT:

If you look closely you will see a backwards Sheep mountain sign:

At this point I said F/U to the snow, and went head on into it up the ridgeline to throop:

Ahh finally at the summit of Throop after many kicked in steps up the snow:

I think something important went here:

Here's the split up to Hawkins from the PCT, I'll just go around hawkins on the pct this time:

A shot from the PCT looking west:

This sign looks familiar, time to head south and hit middle & sadie hawkins'is:

Just one patch of bothersome snow on the ridge trail:

Lots of downed trees on this trail though:

There's a use tail up to Middle hawkins:

At middle hawkins, I signed the register in the tin can:

Here I run out of the 3 litres of water and pull out the reserve platypus. I end up pouring it into a plastic baggie so I can filter it into my water bladder. Hurray another 1/2 litre to make the 8 mile trek back to the car. I also had a 16 oz propel as my last backup, and I knew there were 2 streams running down the Fire road about 5 miles away if I needed moar water.

After Middle hawkins it decends down into this little plataeu:

Mother nature decided to grow a tree that waves at me:

A really nice spot to spend a night camping, maybe some other time:

At this point the trail goes cold and I just do more ridge traversing:

There's south hawkins:

I like this shot because thats Baden-Powell, and I was standing atop that earlier in the day! It blows my mind:

Some more ridge work, albeit this time via a fire road:

The two signs at the junction, I decide to ascend the trail this time instead of the fire road:

Looking down into Crystal lake basin as the sun sets:

South hawkins:

Decending down the fire road, SPOT headlamp time:

Another attempt at a night photo:

Finally at the windy gap crossing of the fire road:

Almost there:

Here's a link to everytrail. The gps cut out on me just after middle hawkins, so I lost all the rest of the gps data and had to try and fill it in as best I could.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php ... 2e6bc7210e
Logan

Post by Logan »

Great trip report. Thanks for posting it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bro! Freakin' **AWESOME** TR. Very cool trip and excellent narrative and photos. You must have been wiped after all that. How many hours on the trail?

HJ
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Bro! Freakin' **AWESOME** TR. Very cool trip and excellent narrative and photos. You must have been wiped after all that. How many hours on the trail?

HJ
Thanks Jim, your last report inspired me to leave a good TR.

Total time spent hiking was 9 hours 27 minutes. I was moving at a very fast pace most of the day. I had to with the late start around 10:30am. I got back to the car around 9:30 pm. I just felt great up there, even going straight up the peaks via the ridgelines I was averaging around 2.2-2.5 mph uphill, which is fast for me.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thats pretty neat that you got to see the city lighted below...kinda removes the isolation of being alone in otherwise pitch black dark. When I walked hwy39, there was this one light on near Crystal Lake beaming out into the darkness..pretty wild stuff.

Course, I dont think I could tire of seeing the Iron Fork...just think..someone has travelled that. I agree that Hawkins is the least of the mountain stops along the way...you have to descend several hundred feet or more down its Copter Ridge to appreciate Hawkins.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

AW wrote: Thats pretty neat that you got to see the city lighted below...kinda removes the isolation of being alone in otherwise pitch black dark. When I walked hwy39, there was this one light on near Crystal Lake beaming out into the darkness..pretty wild stuff.

Course, I dont think I could tire of seeing the Iron Fork...just think..someone has travelled that. I agree that Hawkins is the least of the mountain stops along the way...you have to descend several hundred feet or more down its Copter Ridge to appreciate Hawkins.
There was also a half moon out that night, didn't brighten up the skies too much I could still make out lots of constellations.

I noticed that light too decending down the s. hawkins fire road. It turned out to be the Cabin next to the snack bar. When I got back down to the car I could see the light on in the living room.
obie

Post by obie »

Very nice. Pictures really told the story - one long hike. Makes me tired just reading your report. Thanks.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Sweet pics!