Liberty Ridge - Mt Rainier - July?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Good morning kids.

Here's my situation. I love to go solo. Going solo where there are glaciers is one of the all-time worst ideas.

I'd like to climb Rainier this summer, and I need to find at least one person to go with. I have recently discovered that my normal set of climbing friends are great for a day at the local crag, but don't seem to want to commit to even a day hike summit in the local mountains in the snow.

I'll have shelter and the majority of the safety equipment we'll need. I'm happy to do all the leading where conditions require it ( up to 55 degree snow/ice slopes)

You don't need to have glacier experience - this will be my first experience with them as well - but you need to be comfortable in the snow/ice at high altitude. In addition, we'll most likely need to carry our full packs to the summit, so be ready for that.

Here's a nice trip report I found to give you an idea of what we'd be up against.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/trip-reports ... 2010-5000/

Let me know.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Good gawd Burchey! I am glad to hear you're not going to try that one solo. :shock: Rainier is nothing to fool around with, so I've heard.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

TracieB wrote: Good gawd Burchey! I am glad to hear you're not going to try that one solo. :shock: Rainier is nothing to fool around with, so I've heard.
It is no joke, Tracie. I'm doing tons of research on routes, practicing Z-pulley-crevasse rescue over the bannister of my loft to make sure I can do it with my eyes closed, etc etc. I would imagine I'll be lucky if I find someone that wants to go along.

Trouble is - you really only want to do a trip like this with someone you know and trust. Everyone I know well and trust doesn't want to do a trip like this, they don't have the same priorities as I do. I can find someone who may want to do it, but rope up with a total stranger on Rainier??? Little shakey.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Try sniffing around here: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/pacifi ... wa-or.html

Though it's dominated by self-important blowhards, SummitPost still has a few good folks. Guys in that particular forum probably know the mountain well, too.
Nunc est bibendum
simonov

Post by simonov »

No experience with this board, but I'm sure it's full of experienced climbers: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... p/ubb/cfrm
Nunc est bibendum
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Gracias Simonov, I'll check out both pages. Can't wait to get beaten up for my lack of experience =)