20110504-05 "Mos Eisley 100"

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

So called because yesterday was STAR WARS DAY, and if you remember what Ben Kenobi said about Mos Eisley, well, you'll see how it fits.

Started at my house in West Covina at 4pm. Rode up to Azusa to the very northern end/turnaround point of the San Gabe River Trail (SGRT).

Then boogied south.

Whittier Narrows Dam

"Wilderness Park" in the Downey area or so. This fountain saved my day.

BAM! Seal Beach at 8pm. 3.5 hours to get there from my house (30min break for lunch/water fillup).

Crappy pic of the beach

Sweaty guy

Then I flipped a bitch and headed north to Dustin and Bert's pad in the area. Got some food and they equipped me with new pedals and a bottle cage/bottle.

Left there at 11:23 and got to the top of the trail at 2am. Endo'd at midnight on a poorly marked section of the trail. Went into the dirt and the concrete went straight up for about 6 inches so I did an endo/bail and saved the bike as much as possible. Bike is fine, as am I. Lame trail paint.

Back at the northern end in the SG's. Bad stomach cramps at this point.

Back to my house around 3 going very slow so I didn't throw up, since my gut was hurting. Bad gas pains or something.

Fin
everyday

Post by everyday »

Woah. thats alot of pedaling
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

:shock: Makes my knees hurt just thinking about the mileage
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Slow down Cowboy, we have a hard enough time keeping up with you in the snow now, you keep this up (Lance A Jr.) and we will need a Helo to chase you down :shock: :D

Nice work Taco, I used to ride so much back in the day, I miss it actually.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Patrick, do you still have a bike and whatever else you need to ride?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Taco wrote: Patrick, do you still have a bike and whatever else you need to ride?
I have a couple of bikes, Jeff S keeps wanting me to go up Black Star Canyon with him - cause he knows I'll suck at it and it will be my turn to watch him from the back as he goes up :shock: :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Ah yes, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, except when you ride the San Gabriel River Trail." I always thought that was weird, but now it makes sense.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Wow, nice ride taco! We're not going to be seeing you in neon green spandex soon are we? May the 4th be with you.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Sucks about the endo. :(

I did that trip (only one way) last summer. Fun enough but probably wouldn't do it again. Having not ridden in years I was a little sore.
obie

Post by obie »

Endo was more about you getting busted up than that C'dale you're riding....tough bikes they are.

That's a good ride. Kinda flat for my tastes. You doing any climbing?

I'm doing Baldy this weekend. Village to Notch (if road clear) and maybe more. Bringing some gear for weight training on the MTB so this will be a steady slog.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Patrick, we have been doing a lot of mountainbiking during the week. You should join me and my buddy, along with Jeff and Zach. We'll tear it up.

Cougar, damn right!

hvydrt, not until I'm rich. ;-)

Davantalus, yeah it's not the most inspiring ride ever. Maybe if I had rockets on my bike...

Obie, been doing a lot of local climbs, nothing big. Going to do GMR sometime next week. Might do it this Saturday but I don't know. Busy this week. Just did a nice climb tonight after dinner, got some real good speed downhill!
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Hmmm.

Maybe I could do this from the beach?

Always looking for a better way to get miles than the PCH.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yup, trail starts right where the river empties into the ocean. Trail is on the south side of the river. 8)
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

The bike is looking like a wangan machine :O haha wonderful stuff brotha!

btw good to see you the other day on the street =D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Fo sho mang!