Baldy Village to Lift #4: MTB

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
obie

Post by obie »

This was to have been a overniter with a base at Manker and some scuffling around on the fire roads with the MTB. Long work week and and some sketchy weather reports left me with a Sunday to work with and I loaded the 29'er with all the gear I could manage (all up weight (bike +gear=47 pds.) and headed to the Village for an early start.

Not. It was overcast and raining lightly as I reachd Basline Rd. So, Plan B: I grabbed an LA Times 'just in case' I wussy out and need some time to get motivated. Hit the village at 7 am and its wet and clammy. I have gouda and fresh bread and a paper. What followed was pretty simple...it's my birthday and damn if I'm hammering this ride without proper sustenance.

Collecting myself around 8:30 I decide it's time to get above the clouds and see whats going on up high. It's been a while since I've done the fire road to the Notch and this is early in the season but, from what I've seen and heard I guess correctly that they've scrapped the road and those p/u trucks have been going up/down and tamping things a bit. I like this climb because, well, it's all climb. You get a gain of 4600' in less than ten miles and with the extra gear it's an excellent training ride. Throw in the scree and gear bags to manage it's also pretty good for bike handling. Not quite the all-out combat of Barret/Stoddard or Mesa Peak/Malibu but it's close.

Get to 6700' and the blue skies break out and all's well. I can't hear the wind howling as I get under the lift and that's always good news. The plan is to scarf down the Boonville IPA and break out the stove for lunch at the Lift #4 patio next to shack there. Push on, the weather's holding.

About 7000' I look back and see Joshua on his Giant hammering up the hill. Good stuff. He's a local and good riding company. We continue on to the saddle and he's off to Thunder and I'm on to 8600'.

The service road from the saddle is pretty rutty right now. This becomes hike-a-bike for about half the final climb. If I weren't such a nervous nelly on scree (thoughts of leg breaking rolling around my head) I guess I could do this on a full-suspension rig with a light (carbon) frame. I've never cleaned the section and get busted at the same right hander everytime (picture to follow). Same righthander is a OPEN TRENCH right now - equal to the task of swallowing whole a small jeep. 'Nother time for that nonsense.

I top out and notice we're looking at a white out coming up and from the west. Damn if this party's gonna not happen, I throw a couple layers on (I'm doing the bikey spandex thing up to this point) scarf some Ale and all is well for the 62nd birthday party. Hikers wander by looking at the white-out and asking things like "Is this the lift down to the parking lot", "We're training for Whitney in two weeks - is this the Backbone Trail?", "Did you ride your bike up here?", "How do I get down to the Notch" (this fellow in tennies, no poles, and one layer of clothing. We find him an old ski pole in the trash next to the shack and I tell him to skip the fast descent down the ski run and be looking for the service road - he's tired and the temps are in the 30's now with a 35-40 wind). I have visions of finding him in a bloody heap at the base of the ski run with busted ankle - major bummer...now what? Whatever. Life on Baldy: Weekend edition Pt.2..

Taking the obligatory self-photo shots, I throw some lights on the bike, drop the seat and start bouncing my way down thru the considerable scree field that somehow is a service road (I can see recent 4WD tracks).
Pass Joshua on the way down, he's hammering both climbs today. Nice.

Roll thru San Antonio Falls and dodge an unusally large group of Russian tourists strolling 4 across down the Falls Road. My Uni-bell to no advantage I carefully avoid hitting anyone and head it back to the Village in a fairly fast, cold descent.

Life is Good.

Baldy peaking thru

Obligatory Falls Photo..resplendent in roadie gear - which I always find to work best on the swithcbacks with all those tight corners to negotiate.

Freaky cloud

If you can clean this switch you are a MAN. This is one hoary section right now. Deep, ugly and twisted. Great fun with a hardtail, a full load of gear and a hankering to taste some Ale.

The beating continues around the switch.

Arty shot and what a sweet view it is as the front rolls in/up.

Old Goat doing his birthday thing. The language in Boonville is 'Boont'. Anyone talk 'Boont' here? They make a tasty ale my friends.

Five minutes later...

It is kinda cool to be up here when it's getting spooky....especially when you're heading down on a bike.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Freaking nice dude! Did you go up Saturday too? I think I saw your evil twin.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

obie wrote: If you can clean this switch you are a MAN.
Obie, you are the man. Good stuff, I am tired just thinking about what you did.
obie

Post by obie »

Uncle Rico: Saturday I skipped all the hoo-haa with that roadie event. I heard there were 1400 riders for that little thing. Tho, evil twin known to ride skinny tire stuff too.

Hvydrt: To me that turn @ 8000' might as well be a crevasse in Alps. No way I'm gonna man-up and take a swing at that stuff. Too old for claiming that one.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

sweet lord! the upper part of the fireroad has gotta be above 20% grade, a pain to "run" on, I can only imagine how bad it is on a bike!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Well played, Obie. Well played.
obie

Post by obie »

Ze: confessin' to throwing it down to the granny gear from the saddle up.
It's doable but there has to be more consolidation from trucks, hikers.

Burchey: thanks. I dig this ride...this time of year something weird always shows it's face.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice! It's amazing where you guys take bikes--I really need to get mine off the pavement more often. I remember seeing a guy riding down the "Hardscrabble" section of the Bear Flats Trail once. I was like, whoa, did you parachute in? He told me he had started at Manker and rode the Backbone Trail to the summit. Cool TR, obie!
obie

Post by obie »

Dave: thanks. Bear Flat? Bike? That is some stuff.

Best thing I learned about portaging bikes around here is to take both wheels off and use them as walking...umm...sticks. The DBB route with a bike, especially my big-wheel 29'er, is a hassle. I prefer to chain the bike to a tree for some sections anyway and just hike on foot.

I'd be bumming bigtime watching my red bike bouncing down the bowl if I have to bail it.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

obie wrote: Saturday I skipped all the hoo-haa with that roadie event. I heard there were 1400 riders for that little thing.
Not to get off topic or anything, but a sight worthy of mention at Saturday's roadie event was a young lady I saw riding a commuter bike fitted with cage pedals who was wearing cargo shorts and Red Wing work boots. Saw her up out of the saddle hammering toward the finish line just past the 8 hour mark as a bunch of lycra clad gents pushed their expensive carbon fiber steeds uphill in defeat. Thing of beauty.
obie

Post by obie »

Uncle Rico wrote:
obie wrote: Saturday I skipped all the hoo-haa with that roadie event. I heard there were 1400 riders for that little thing.
Not to get off topic or anything, but a sight worthy of mention at Saturday's roadie event was a young lady I saw riding a commuter bike fitted with cage pedals who was wearing cargo shorts and Red Wing work boots. Saw her up out of the saddle hammering toward the finish line just past the 8 hour mark as a bunch of lycra clad gents pushed their expensive carbon fiber steeds uphill in defeat. Thing of beauty.
Nice. At Palomar a couple years ago for the Tour there was one guy just hammering the climb with a beach cruiser...complete with surf rack and short board. Dropping people all the way.

Found out later the guy was sandbagging - he was a Nat.Champ on the boards. Heard he actually got them to add a 'beach cruiser' category to that series at the Velo in S.Diego. :)