Big Baldy Loop - 5.7.11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

It's been a long time since I've posted a trip report, so I thought I would before Taco deletes my user name :o (j/k of course)

Anyways, on Saturday I hiked the 6 peaks version of the Big Baldy Loop. I started at Icehouse parking lot and walked down to the village and up the Bear Canyon trail, then down the Devil's backbone, across the Three T's and down Icehouse Canyon.

The lower part of the Bear Canyon trail has some nice wildflowers popping up and the upper part is mostly snow free except the traverse under West Baldy and both summits (West Baldy & Baldy). The only other snow I encountered was on the Three T's trail, but it wasn't a problem.

The weather was nice and a cool breeze made the normally warm Three T's trail comfortable. It was another great day in the San Gab mountains!

My Pictures

Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Cool, that is a big loop!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

GigaMike - "The code of silence" has been broken :D

Great pictures Mike, isn't that two weeks in a row on the 6 peaks - nice work - glad to see you throwing up TR. Hope to see you out there soon.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Just a stroll in the mountains for ya.. Nice pictures Mike, like them flower pictures...

mark
GreenMountainBoy

Post by GreenMountainBoy »

GM, that's some time....8.75, nice.

AM headed up for this loop on Wednesday, I'm hesitating to say it looks as though no crampons/microspikes are needed at this time. Is that accurate?

Thanks
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Nice hike. Looks like a fun day out in the Mountains.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Thanks everyone!

GreenMountainBoy- You are right, crampons or microspikes are not needed. Have fun!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

GigaMike wrote: It's been a long time since I've posted a trip report, :(

I started at Icehouse parking lot and walked down to the village and up the Bear Canyon trail, then down the Devil's backbone, across the Three T's and down Icehouse Canyon. HEY THAT'S A GREAT IDEA, I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING IT THAT WAY! :D :

My Pictures

Nice pix Mike.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice one, Mike. Great pix. Where's that Woodsy Owl sign? I don't remember seeing that one before (could just be my memory).

Dang! That was fast. What kind of exoskeleton were you using!?

HJ
secondlizard

Post by secondlizard »

That is a serious hike. Congrats on a good day in the mountains.