recent hikes - icehouse yesterday, baldy ski hut today

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I've been able to get out two days in a row. Yesterday I headed up to Icehouse Saddle. The trail about 1.5 miles in is washed out and has been rerouted. That was new. Otherwise, everything else was typical for that trail. Most of the snow has melted so if people don't like snow, Icehouse Saddle should be plenty copacetic. I've been trying to increase my hiking speed and I was able to get back to the trail head from the saddle in 53 minutes. Not bad for me.

Then today I went up to the Baldy Ski Hut view Manker. Again, pretty typical. I saw 3 people the whole time. I made the hut in 1:18 and after a break descended in 53:00. I don't know how you trail runners do it... I was so cooked. Even though most people on here have been to the hut, I threw up a TR on my site anyways, in case you want to check out pics or what not. http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... b-ski-hut/

One thing I did notice is that SAR seemed to be flying all over the place up there. I met another hiker coming down from the summit and he said that they'd been out all morning and into the afternoon. Anyone know whats going on?
everyday

Post by everyday »

EDIT---dang, i realized you wernt running it, ha. nevermind. I saw "speed" and assumed running
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Reports of a wildfire at Big Tujunga, with an outside investigation active so maybe arson...? Maybe SAR was flying around looking for the perp...

I've been up there before when SAR was flying around, no reports of any activity so it might just be training. My guess is they tend to train during the week as the weekends are crowded...
BreadHiker

Post by BreadHiker »

I was up on Baldy on Tuesday as well, noticed the same thing with the helicopter, was wondering what was going on with that. Saw them land up on/near the summit a number of times.

Was a gorgeous day out yesterday, turned ugly for me at about 9700ft when my stomach decided keeping water down wasn't really a good idea. Been like 20 years since that happened to me! Well, at least the first half was fun.
norma r

Post by norma r »

thanks for the info. it sure is nice getting out on a weekdat Matt. i've been cooped up at work this week. i have seen SAR many times on weekdays up there flying around and performing their touch landings as BreadHiker mentioned. even had the helo tip its wings as i waved from atop Harwood one winter's day. cool.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

norma r wrote: even had the helo tip its wings as i waved from atop Harwood one winter's day. cool.
Uh...Norma....a Helo doesn't have wings..... :roll:
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks for the info. it sure is nice getting out on a weekdat Matt. i've been cooped up at work this week. i have seen SAR many times on weekdays up there flying around and performing their touch landings as BreadHiker mentioned. even had the helo tip its wings as i waved from atop Harwood one winter's day. cool.
Lol, I second Tracie's comment. It definitely is nice getting out on weekdays though, as the crowds are so low.

How's the snow level in los padres right now, norma?