20110430 - Ski Hut Trail to Summit

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Yeti sent me a message on Friday saying he hadn't been on a mountain in over a month. So I joined him for a run up the Ski Hut trail.

Windy was the word for the day. Was looking for Rick and Mike but missed them.

First view of how much the bowl has melted out.

Took a short cut up the canyon to the "Ski Hut Outhouse" and found the door stop halfway down the drainage stuck in the hillside under a shrub, couldn't tell if is was throw down there or if it drifted on the snow from the wind?

Yeti almost to the top of the bowl, we climbed the last bit of snow in the trees on the southend of the bowl where the trail turns left, we went straight up to the right

Dropped down to the first big boulder on the northwest face of baldy to see what was left on that side, there's still some snow leading up to the north face of west baldy but all the rest is going fast

Decided to leave the last tracks of the season in the snow and did the downclimb straight down the face of the bowl from "Zen Chute" I believe

Looking back up the chute, now it's time for "scree scramble"  :D

Pavel and about ten other folks were gathering at the Ski Hut to enjoy some food and spirits, it was nice to take a break out of the wind. Jeff (Yeti) joined me 20 minutes later. We stopped for a few minutes to watch some canyoneers start rappeling down the lower falls.

Another fun day on the mountain. Hope to see everyone soon.  :D

Rest of my pictures here
everyday

Post by everyday »

Cool pics!  :D
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Looks like we missed you by about 20 mins...dang! Jeff mentioned he was heading up the trail, but it was just too cold and windy to hang out.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Your right patrick windy was the word for yesterday...glad to see jeff back up there...

mark
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Sounds like baldy was the place to be on 04-30-11.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

It's amazing how quickly that bowl melts out.  Nice view down the still snowy north face.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Yo Patrick fun day on the mountain with ya!  Thanks for having patience for this out of shape yeti

Jeff