Mt. Islip via crystal lake-windy gap 5_1_2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Logan

Post by Logan »

What a great day to escape to the mountains. I did a solo hike out of crystal lake to Islip Summit. Temps were in the 50s when I started and didnt get too much colder than the 40s even in the wind.

It starts to get really sparse just before reaching windy gap. Trees are screwed in that area.

I was carrying some tibetan prayer flags because I thought it might be fun to take them to windy gap and let them fly in the wind there. The wind did not dissapoint.

As I was gearing up in the parking lot some one asked me why I was carrying an ice axe. They said isnt that for the snow. I said "You never know when you may need it. but after 3.5 miles of hiking I was starting to wonder myself if it was stupid to bring it. Well I encountered snow and it was for about the last half mile to the summit. Completely covering the trail. This was hard, shaded and wind blasted. I am glad I brought my axe because I used it to chop steps. It worked great.

I made a couple of new friends on the way up. The were taking the Islip ridge trail and I was going through windy gap but we met up on the summit.

This is how my trip ended. My favorite part...

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the TR. Yum Duvel.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Diggin the tree pics. Ice axes are great for fending off the random mountain lion/pot farmer as well.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Logan, I agree with Burchey those tree shots are great.

Everytime I walk through an area of forest that has been hit hard by fire it gives me the feeling of being in a movie, like a bad hollywood set :(
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Wow, that snow seems to have not melted one bit in the last two weeks!
Logan

Post by Logan »

HikeUp wrote: Thanks for the TR. Yum Duvel.
Somehow I knew you would appreciate that HikeUp.

Logan