R/R to Baldy 4-30-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Did a night hike last night, hit the trail at 9:15pm went up R/R to Hardwood summited there at 11:35,when I topped put from the trees at R/R and hit the bachbone trail I could here the wind going through that one tree stright ahead so I put my glove liners on and jacket, the wind at hardwood was blowing pretty good, enjoyed the desert lights for a few minutes and went on.

Going over to baldy the wind was getting colder, put another layer of gloves on.On the way up the ridge to Baldy I was getting a little sluggish and I layed down on the trail behind a med. size rock and had a bannana and trail bar, got back up and that did the trick, summited baldy at 12:35am. 18 deg. on summit. I took the main chute down the left side of main chute put my mircos on and didn't walk down I scotted down, more snow on chute then I thought..

Got to ski hut at 1:50 and met this guy and I asked are you the Baldy computer guy(big guy)dont remember his name,anyway he invited me in for a cup of of tea they said they saw this guy coming down the bowl and wanted to make sure everything was ok.While I was having my tea he went on the Baldy web site and at 2am the wind chill at the notch was 17deg

Another bitchen night hike on baldy....

mark

http://community.webshots.com/album/580 ... =community
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

damn....and I thought it was cold during the day! Nice going!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

The "Part Vampire" strikes again :D

Looks like polarbear time up there.

Great job Mark :D
Logan

Post by Logan »

You are a bad ass.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

thanks all, yea I wasn't expecting it to be that cold but that wind was a cold one...enjoyed it all the way...

mark
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Gotta respect the solo night hike.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

awesome pics, mark. do you need an axe/crampons on r/r right now? i'm really eager for it to all to melt so i can start my training on the ski hut trail.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

matt.. you can go up in trail runners now, no crampon no ice axe for doing the reg. trail..thers snow up there but nothing you can't handle..

thats my opinion...

mark
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks Mark. May check it today.

take care,
Matt