Middle Fork Lytle Creek 04-27-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

We hiked up the middle fork of Lytle Creek to Commache Trail Camp. It wasnt as hot as we expected. probably 80* at the hottest at the Trailhead (4000ft)

Stonehouse campground

There is a big Glacier up a no name canyon thats about goes down about 2000 ft in elevation. probably 3/4 of a mile long. the ice is about 5 feet thick at the bottom. its probably 120 feet wide at the widest too. doesnt look like it will be gone for at least another month and a half.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR Dudley Heinsbergen!
Our own Cucamonga Wilderness Glacier too ...
Niiice
8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

SWEEEEET!!!! Haahahahaha!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

nice..third stream at the lowest elevations is one of my favs. Tall pines, clear water, rock can be chossy, but has some nice patches.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

What kind of shape is the trail in? The last time I was up there (2006?), there were a lot of wash outs (3?) on scree slopes. One could detour without too much trouble by climbing up and around the head of the scree slope in a sort of horseshoe pattern, but it really freaked my friend Jared out (he's not good with heights). Have they done any maintenance recently?

That really is a beautiful canyon. Love all the cedars at Comanche.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

if i can remember correctly there were exactly 3 washouts in the trail between Third Stream Crossing Trail Camp and Commache. one of them was a bit scary because after the scree ended 100 feet down there was a massive cliff. I was surprised to see snow go down to 5000 ft this time of year.

the middle fork of Lytle Creek is my favorite canyon i have yet explored so far in the San Gabriels.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

What a nice trip - those waterfalls are beautiful. Thanks for sharing
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, great falls. I didn't know about them specifically although I know there are falls in some of the side canyons. Thanks in particular for the map.