My turn up Smith Mountain 04-16-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

The flying insects were out pretty fierce from the saddle up to the summit and on the summit. Couldn't really enjoy it being swarmed like that. It was strange that they were so severe at the saddle / summit and non existant before it.

Thankfully we found a nice big flat rock on the east slope about 100 yards from the summit with enough wind to keep most the bloodsuckers away while we took a nice long relaxing break.

We also caught a rare rainbow cloud formation on the way down from the summit that I managed to capture on photo. Saw a gopher snake that slithered off before I could get a shot.

There was also 4 creeks/streams running over the trail up to the saddle. Made for a great spots to soak the bandanna & T-shirt for the hot trip up/down.

Afterwards we took a trip up to the snack bar at Crystal lake to cool off and had some chilli cheese fries which I highly recommend!

Also checked out the amphitheater and relaxed in the cooler shade on the picnic tables.

Pics can be found here:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1044819
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice TR. Good to get some beta on the snack bar!!! :D
Logan

Post by Logan »

I also went up to smith Mountain yesterday. It was a scorcher. The bugs were swarming on our way up to the peak. Started at 10 and back to the car at 1:30. Stopped in for a quick peak at the west fork area and saw hundreds of careless people destroying the area.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

What a difference a week makes. No bugs at all last week, and I was wearing a coat on the way up. It was snowing lightly on our way down.

Too bad about West Fork. :( Crystal Lake will not be far behind. :( :( :(

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

How/why are they destroying it?? wouldnt that be illegal? call the cops/warden watevers. or just tazer em at least :twisted:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Yup, "Diaper Alley" was full of people yesterday!
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

everyday wrote: How/why are they destroying it?? wouldnt that be illegal? call the cops/warden watevers. or just tazer em at least :twisted:
I've seen people go so far as to even haul their propane house barbeque's down the paved road along the west fork.

The whole place gets trashed very badly from garbage and waste people just leave behind when the temp turns up, and on holiday weekends its a nightmare.
everyday

Post by everyday »

that's sad :(