Sandstone Peak and Tri-Peaks from Newbury Park

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
James

Post by James »

Mishe Mokwa is a fun trail this time of year with cool temps and blooms. I didn't want to make the long drive to the trailhead so I decided to go from the Newbury Park side (the north side of the Santa Monicas).

It rained last night but by morning it was just cloudy and rolling fog over Boney mountain area. Every single thing was soaked and the creeks were booming, water running down trails, over rocks, everywhere. This would be fun.

Well, it was for a while, good old fashioned mud romp up to the Old Boney cutoff then once onto the western ridge trail up to Boney, every leaf and branch rained drops down my back. Up into the fog it got chilly since I was now soaked virtually head-to-toe (including the daypack).

Heading up the steep rocky sections was tricky in the mud and wet rocks. The effort dried things out a little.

But wow, nice views of the monolithic rocks shrouded in fog, surreal, pictures didn't do them justice.

Passing the fog and boulders up to the top of Boney peak and on to Tri-Peaks. Swiss cheese rock was dripping water and lichen. I thought I'd landed in County Cork for a moment and contemplated a Guiness. Then I realized all I had was water and a sandwich. No matter, into the caves, more water staining the usually dry rock.

After exploring the caves for a while it was time to connect up with the Mishe Mokwa trail and on over to Sandstone Peak. Two hikers up there enjoying the views, cool breezes (chilly when soaked!). Ate some of the sandwich (no Guiness to wash it down).

Time to reverse course. Back to tri-peaks, one last look at the swiss cheese and caves and then over to the round-topped peaks on the way to the Old Cabin trail descent. A rocky, muddy mess going down too but it was great!

Soreness never felt so good.

Photos: http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt30 ... ry%20Park/
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

I've done that trail/loop but from the highway TH near sandstone. It was our first time out in the range and it was wonderful.

It felt like there was always something interesting to look at and new to see around each bend.
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Nice descriptions James. My favorite local mountain. I always enjoy playing out there. We've been doing a big loop recently that includes Western Ridge Trail, Boney and Tri-peaks but also adds Stegosaurus Ridge (our name and aptly named once you see it) down to Split Rock, up to Balance Rock over the ridge to Conejo Peak and then back down to the TH. You get to miss the ugly rutted main trail on the descent. You should come with us sometime.

btw... i was driving the 118 on Friday morning heading east and all the rocks from the Hummingbird Trail to Rocky Peak fire road had water running down them. the sun was shining through the clouds and lit them up like nothing i had ever seen before. just beautiful! must have been like what you saw on your hike. there was even a waterfall on the north side of the freeway just east of the Rocky Peak exit. very cool.
James

Post by James »

Thanks, it was a great day to be up there. Hummingbird trail and that area is also great in the fog, don't think I've done that one in the rain or just after a rain, I'll bet it's awesome. Would like to try that balancing rock loop sometime. Sounds fun.
obie

Post by obie »

Any recommendations for camping? Just bringing a tarp & bag.

Went to the Circle X Ranch site and their campground is for groups of "10-50". Not familiar with any of the other sites they mention.

I've biked the area and generally stop down at Leo Carillo for lunch. I would prefer not to be in a 'campground' like that. :)

Thanks!
norma r

Post by norma r »

there are walk-in camp sites in La Jolla Valley which is north of Circle X and Sycamore Canyon on PCH. the link states chemical toilet, but that toilet is by the parking lot, not the camp sites. the camp sites are very primitive and last time i looked it didn't seem they are much used or that brush is cleared regularly.

Malibu Creek State Park inland from the beach is a nice area with lots of trails to hike and mtn bike as well as climbing walls. but along the beach in the Santa Monica Mountains it's Thornhill Broome, Sycamore Canyon and Topanga Canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/camping2.htm

let us know if you do camp and what your experience is.
obie

Post by obie »

norma r wrote: there are walk-in camp sites in La Jolla Valley which is north of Circle X and Sycamore Canyon on PCH. the link states chemical toilet, but that toilet is by the parking lot, not the camp sites. the camp sites are very primitive and last time i looked it didn't seem they are much used or that brush is cleared regularly.

Malibu Creek State Park inland from the beach is a nice area with lots of trails to hike and mtn bike as well as climbing walls. but along the beach in the Santa Monica Mountains it's Thornhill Broome, Sycamore Canyon and Topanga Canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/camping2.htm

let us know if you do camp and what your experience is.
cool. thanks.

no rain and I'll be up there this weekend.